Chapter 1 - Best Friends and Girl Time

I looked down at my paper and silently freaked out. This test was not going to be easy. Especially because I forgot to study. Again. 

"Alright, students! I don't want to hear a single word from any of you until everyone has finished their test. You may begin." My teacher, Mrs. Clayton, stated. I groaned and shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Not only was math my worst subject, but I hated it with a passion. I seemed to get a least a B average in there every year though. That was good. 

Okay. As a ninth grader, I know I'm supposed to know algebra, especially because I'm in Algebra 1. But I'm going to point out something. Who the hell puts letters in math? And how do you take three to the third power minus seven? It was really, really hard for me to understand exponents. My thoughts were getting jumbled in my head, and I stared at my paper in confusion. 

Mrs. Clayton must have noticed me just sitting there, because she came over to me and tapped me on the shoulder. I glanced up, and instantly felt my face heat up. 

"I'm sorry...I don't understand exponents at all--but I'll try, I will, really--" I started, but Mrs. Clayton cut me off. 

"It's alright, Miss Wilson. I don't want you to get a headache from staring at that. Here, hand it to me, and go out in the outdoor classroom to clear your head. I'll go over some things with you tomorrow, and then you can take the test on Friday." I felt the corners of my mouth turn up into a small smile. Mrs. Clayton was my favorite teacher. She understood if we didn't undrestand what we were looking at, and helped us though it. I liked that. 

"Oh my gosh. Thank you, Mrs. Clayton, thank you, thank you, thank you!" I whispered as I got up. She nodded, took the test from me, and then watched me walk out of the classroom with a look of sympathy on her face. As soon as I made it out the door, I turned right to head for the outdoor classroom. There were flowers all over the place there, and it smelled earthy and wonderful. 

I was adjusting my backpack strap when I bumped into someone. They stumbled backwards a little bit, and almost dropped the things they were holding. I steadied myself and looked up. It was my best friend, Hollie. I've asked her a thousand times why her parents spelt her name like Hollie instead of Holly, but she just shrugs her shoulders. Maybe they liked it more when it was spelt that way. 

"Gemma! You almost made me drop my papers!" Hollie accused, poking me in the stomach. I giggled. 

"You need to watch where you're going!" I fired back. She started laughing too. 

"Sure, sure. Hey, why are you out here? This is my off hour. I help the office run errands, but I thought you had that test in math." I shrugged my shoulders as Hollie started going through the stack of papers in her hands. 

"I'm out here because Mrs. Clayton is amazing, and is letting me wait until Friday to take the test since I understand exponents about as much as a fish would understand walking." I smiled a little at that. Only I would come up with that. Since I understand exponents about as much as a fish would understand walking. So original. Ha. 

Hollie found whatever paper she was looking for, and handed it to me. I stared at it in confusion until she rolled her eyes and poked me in the stomach again. 

"It's your application for Student Council. So you can go on the field trip with me, and help out with painting the school like you wanted." My eyes lit up. 

"When do I have to turn this form in?" I asked excitedly. A huge grin spread across her face. 

"You have to turn it in by Friday. You've got two days to get your parents to sign it and to fill out why you think you would be a good addition to the Student Council." Hollie laughed when I started bouncing in my spot.