Chapter 7

Hey guys,

Please comment, vote, and follow

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 7

       "My lady."

       I stared wide-eyed up at the rather large wolf-borne bowing to me at the top of the boat's ramp, his golden eyes sparking in the morning sun. My gaze narrowed. "You are the general escorting us in the Lower Kingdom?" Terif's face darkened as he rose to his full, and rather intimidating height, but refrained from saying the insulting comments I saw flickering through his eyes.

       "I will be escorting you through the Lower Kingdom. I care little for what your friends do."

       I frowned at his statement, but didn't bother answering as Lei walked over to our little entourage- a rather unpleasant look settling over his face. "Emrie, may I talk to you?" There wasn't exactly anger flashing through his dark gaze, but I could tell he was more than uncomfortable with the newest member of our little party.

       I gave him a sheepish smile before nodding and walking down the ship's deck. I had a vague idea about what he wanted to talk about, and I wasn't all too thrilled about it. Any idea of privacy between Lei and I was squashed as the large wolf-borne followed closely behind us. Leikos's temper spiked.

       "Alone, general. I would like to speak with my charge alone."

       Terif remained still as stone as his golden eyes locked with Lei's. "No."

       I rolled my own.

       "I have strict orders to not leave Lady Emrie's side."

       Lady Emrie- Well, that's a new one.

       "I'm her guardian. I won't hurt her." Lei's voice held a touch of disbelief and hurt, like the mere presence of the King's general was an open insult to him. For all we know, it probably way. Terif's resolve did not waiver.

       "I do not disobey my king."

       The large wolf-borne did not appear to be backing down anytime soon, and the hard, emotionless look in his dark eyes did not disappear. I sighed and turned back towards Lei, a reassuring smile tugging on my lips. "It's okay Lei. Just pretend he's not there." I ignored the dark look Terif shot me and turned my back on him as the town's leader's brown eyes glanced down to mine.

       "This is a private matter, Emrie. I will wait until we have a moment in peace." He shot a pointed look at my new personal guard before flickering his gaze back to mine. My lips pulled into a small frown. What little freedom I was so looking forward to, I knew I could no longer have. The guards from the village were gone, only to be replaced by a wolf-borne twice the size of any normal shifter man.

       I let out a small huff before forcing a soft smile on my lips. "Alright, when will we be leaving?"

       "A minute or two, as soon as I tell the captain we are ready."

       I nodded and glanced over my shoulder at the King's general- that ever-present emotionless mask set sternly over his face. "Then I will be below deck in my room. Is it the same as last year?" Leikos gave me a short nod, which I returned before heading for the hidden stairwell at the back of the ship.

       It was at least a week's voyage to the Lower Kingdom, and that was only if the sea was met with smooth waters and fast winds. I would not be surprised if we were sailing a little less than two weeks. I could already feel the depressed tug in my chest as I walked slowly below the ship's main deck, Terif following only a few steps behind.