Chapter 13

A/N: If you're worried about lack of serious Percabeth fluff, don't worry... it's coming soon. Mwahahahah!! Anyway enjoy the update! -Lauren

About 20 minutes later we rang the doorbell on the front stoop of the Jackson apartment. I heard Mrs. Jackson call to Paul “I’ll get it, I wonder who it could be?” On impulse I squeezed Percy’s hand and smiled at him. He smiled back and, glancing down at our hands, smiled even wider. Just then the door opened, and Mrs. Jackson stood there with a look of utter surprise on her face.

“Percy! What-how- oh my goodness-” she exclaimed before she flung her arms around him in a tight hug.

“Hi mom,” Percy said from under his mother’s embrace. I could tell that he was really pleased to see her. I smiled and stood there awkwardly, unsure of whether I should draw attention to myself or not. Luckily Mrs. Jackson spotted me.

“Annabeth! What a lovely surprise! Percy never mentioned that you two would visit!” She exclaimed happily before pulling me in for a warm hug. She was a really good hugger, too- just being in her arms made me feel safe and protected, like all the monsters in the world couldn’t get past her even if they tried. I hugged her back tightly.

“No, Mrs. Jackson, Percy and I were just in the neighborhood and thought we should stop by and say hello,” I explained as she pulled away and beckoned us inside. “Come in, come in! I’ll get you kids some hot cocoa,” she said as she disappeared into the kitchen. I heard her call out “Paul! Percy’s here! Look who he brought!” Percy went pink and I had to stifle a giggle.

“I guess she’s a little happy to see you,” he mumbled. I nudged him with my elbow.

“Only a little?” He let out a small laugh and shrugged.

“Okay, okay, a lot. She talks about you all the time, you know,” he said. I paused for a moment, pleasantly surprised.

“Really? Why?”

He shrugged again. “Who knows?”

Just then Mrs. Jackson came out of the kitchen bearing two mugs of cocoa and trailed by her husband Paul. Paul smiled when he saw us. “Hey you guys! What brings you to our neck of the woods?” He gave Percy one of those man-hugs that usually involve a lot of backslapping. I smiled again.

“We were in the city today and I thought it would be nice if we stopped by and visited,” I explained, gratefully accepting the steaming mug of cocoa that Mrs. Jackson handed to me.

“Well, I’m so happy that you did. Percy doesn’t usually visit or even call us- oh, don’t give me that look Percy- so it’s good that he has you around, Annabeth,” she said, sending a wink to Paul. Percy and I both noticed and blushed.

“Yeah, mom, I’m lucky to have her. I couldn’t ask for a better friend,” Percy admitted. I smirked. “What would you do without me? I’ve only saved your butt about a dozen times.” Mrs. Jackson and Paul laughed along with Percy and I. It was one of those family moments that you want to capture in a picture and put in a scrapbook. I was really glad that I’d suggested we visit.

“So, what are you two doing out in the city?” Mrs. Jackson asked. I turned to glance at Percy, taking a sip of my cocoa.

“Actually, Mrs. Jackson, this was all Percy’s idea, and it’s supposed to be a surprise, so I’m not totally sure,” I explained. Mrs. Jackson and Paul got these looks that resembled Mr. D faced with a glass of wine. They shot the looks at Percy and he went deep red, exclaiming “what??”

“Oh, nothing,” they said, smiling knowingly at each other. I decided I didn’t want to know.

“Well, I suppose you two had better get going. You don’t want to miss a thing,” Paul said. Percy still looked a little miffed by his parent’s conspiratorial looks but he jumped at the opportunity to leave.