Chapter 7

After I told Thalia that Percy had definitely received his first YSA letter, she agreed that it was time to devise a new one. However, I did not say a word about Percy’s erratic behavior concerning the Aphrodite challenge. I hardly knew what to make of it myself.

We flew off on the pegasi to our usual spot in the woods. Our second letter read as follows:

Your eyes are sea-green

The sea is blue

All I know right now

Is that I love you.

Yours,

Your Secret Admirer

While I was dictating to Thalia, she didn’t offer up her usual smirks or hooting laughs. In fact, for the past few days she had been really… quiet. Huh.

“Hey Thals?” I said as she was packing up the letter and her pen.

“What’s up?”

“Are you okay?” She flinched. Okay, she was definitely NOT okay.

“Thalia Grace, for the past week it has been all about me. Now why don’t you tell me what’s going on in YOUR life? Is something wrong?” I pressed. She sighed and looked at me, flashing a quick smile. “Annabeth, honestly you read too much into things. Why can’t I be quiet without feeling sad? I’m just… thinking about things. About my mom,” she said.

“Well, if you ever want to talk about it, I’m here,” I replied.

I reached over and hugged her. I knew that Thalia’s mom had died in a car accident a few years ago, but before that she and Thalia had never really gotten along. I guess I never thought about how much Thalia missed her mom, even though she had hated her at times. I felt a little guilty for a moment about still having my dad around, but it passed.

“Hey, it’s okay,” I said, patting her back as she stifled a few sobs. “You know what? You still have your dad, and I bet he’s watching you right now. I bet you he’s really proud of you,” I comforted. “You’ll always have me, Thals, and Percy too. And Chiron, and the Hunters, and I’m sure Artemis is like some godly big sister- or little sister?” I said, and Thalia laughed a little. “You’re my best friend no matter what Thalia. We’ve saved the world together, and you’re helping me out with this whole Percy mess. I can’t thank you enough for always having my back. I love you so much, Thals,” I whimpered as I broke down into tears too. For a few minutes, Thalia and I sat crying and hugging each other, taking comfort in the other’s presence. Talk about an emotional week.

“Okay, okay, enough crying,” Thalia said gruffly while swiping away her remaining tears. She gave me a hard smile and winked. “We’ve got work to do.”