CHAPTER XXXI: A Message

Dymas Phrygians sat at the writing table in his chamber, gazing out an open window at the rooftops of Abita. The sun was just up in the east, and the waters of the Ester River glittered with its light as if diamonds had been strewn across its surface. He smiled bitterly at the thought. Strange that such rank waters should look so lovely at a distance. He shifted his gaze toward the Far Tower, which gleamed in the morning sun. Something dark and rank festered within its walls as well.

It had only been a matter of days since Hans had banished him from the throne room and the halls of power, but already Dymas felt like a stranger in the city. He had served kings most of his life. To have that taken from him by the likes of Pitch and Manny's wastrel of a brother ...

A knock at his door roused him from his dark thoughts. A servant entered, carrying a small rolled piece of parchment, sealed with wax. A message from his man in the north.

Dymas broke the seal and unrolled the parchment.

The message scrawled in that familiar hand was chillingly brief. "200 Alsace-Lorraine arrive at night at Flint Bays."

Dymas took a long breath and gazed once more toward the Far Tower.