Chapter One

The thunderous sounds of hooves clashing against the damp earth echoed throughout the forest night.  It seemed that everything else which resided in the tall grass and various trees was fast asleep.  Evelyn could see her quick and raspy breaths in the moonlight as she checked over her shoulder for anyone or anything that may be lurking behind.  Pulling on the reins tightly, the horse whinnied and suddenly stopped, standing upon its back legs, before clashing back onto the ground.  The creature turned around unwillingly, allowing Evelyn to look back on all she was leaving behind.  No doubt he would find her, he always did, but she had to try. Snapping on the reins, the horse turned around and sped off into the darkness of the unforgiving wilderness.

It wasn't long until they reached the outskirts of the forest, looking out upon rolling hills and large mountains in the distance.  As though someone somewhere was looking out for her, Evelyn could see the hopeful lights of civilization not far away.  The horse sped off towards what looked like a rather small village.  Evelyn wasn't picky about where she was to stay the night because she knew anywhere would be better and safer for her then being out in the open.  If he were to come searching in the middle of the night, surely he would check every surrounding village, but if he happened to stumble upon this one first, he would have no idea just where located inside she was. Evelyn's main concern was hiding her horse, and hiding herself.

Her horse trotted under the archway which led into the town, its hooves clattering loudly upon the cobblestone.  Most villagers were fast asleep, as seen by the emptiness of the streets.  She now arrived in what Evelyn imagined to be the square.  There was a running fountain in the middle and several other shops around.  However, besides the streetlamps, one building had a torch out front. Riding up to it, the sign on the building read, Gaston's Tavern.  Though a tavern wasn't her first choice to stay the night, it would have to do.  Dismounting her horse, Evelyn lowered her hood and knocked on the door.  A gust of chilled air sent sensations down her spine, forcing her to knock again.  The door creaked as it opened slightly ajar, an unwelcoming feeling cascading from the aroma inside.  Opening the door a little more, Evelyn wearily peaked her head inside and looked around.  It was terribly, terribly dark besides a singular lit candle residing on what appeared to be the bar.

"Hello?" Evelyn's meek voice called out, not wanting to barge in, as she was, without making herself known. "Is anyone here?"

All was silent.

Seeing as though no one was home, Evelyn hesitantly walked inside and closed the door behind her.  Feeling a shiver creep down her spine, she hurried her steps toward the candle and latched onto it.  The warmth it gave off helped calm her nerves as she held it out before her, desperate to see where she was going.  Tables and chairs were littered around, looking slightly dusty, as though no one had used them in a long time.  Walking around, she held up the candle and could dimly see something that looked like a mural.  Finding a wooden chair, she stood upon it, and held the flames glow towards it.  The mural on the wall was of a fascinating war hero.  He wore a blood red war jacket that was trimmed with gold and held out a sword before him in victory.  The orange glow of the flame danced upon the mans features.  He had long, dark hair which was neatly tied into a low ponytail and a handsomely chiseled face.  Evelyn felt her head tilt as she questioned where he might be now.  She then realized there were in fact several murals of the same man in battle. He must be very liked around here, she thought.

"Who gave you permission to come in here?" Questioned a gruff voice from somewhere in the darkness. Evelyn's heart skipped a beat as she held the candle out in fright while climbing down from the chair. She was speechless while listening to the shuffling of boots in the distance. "You are not welcome here!"

"I-I'm sorry!" Evelyn pleaded while backing away from the voice, hitting a wall roughly with her back. "I was only looking for a place to stay and noticed the torch outside..."