My Lunch is Doomed [John]

Chapter Three – My Lunch is Doomed [John]

            Taylor leans over and kisses my cheek with her soft luscious lips. She bids goodbye as she says, “See you later!” I sigh as I see her disappear out of my sight. I rev up the engine going back to my house. Parking the car slowly into the garage, I see the house’s light is still turned on. I knock on the door. Mum opens it slowly but surely.

           “You’re back,” she whispers as she points my younger sister, Leigh, falls into a deep slumber on the couch.

            “About recently, I was sorry I asked Taylor about her parents. I did not know,” she sniffs, sympathizing Taylor’s dead parents.

            “It’s okay, mum. She did not get mad about it. I think she just feels bad thinking about her parents. Plus, you did not know her parents died. Thanks for cooking a delicious dinner, anyways,” I retort and hug her tightly. I glance up at Leigh who is still sleeping on her couch.

            My seven-year-old sister Leigh is such an angel when she sleeps. She’s just the most peaceful creature in this world. She hates noise. I walk tiptoeing upstairs to my bedroom. I turn on the light and see my bedroom is a mess. Lots of papers are dump on the table. I need to finish my Biology laboratory report. I sit down and flip the pages of my report.

            My lips curve up since I am done with my report. I heave a sigh knowing I achieve something really great. That can make something to add some charisma points on Taylor during Biology class. I mean, she’s really great with that subject although she’s a cheerleader in school.

            I replay the memories when she kissed me on the cheek. I can’t stop thinking about that scene. Am I dreaming? I slap my left cheek. No, I’m not. Her kiss is real. The telephone rings suddenly, which makes me jump for a moment. The answering machine answers the beep.

            “John Sparks. Please leave a message,” it says.

            “John, I hope you can receive this message. Um, I’m thinking if we could hang out this Saturday with Andrew and Claire, if you don’t mind. Caitlin,” Caitlin, my childhood best friend and my classmate since kindergarten, says. She ends the line without changing her mind.

            My body flies on the bed. My back is properly laid on the comfortable bed sheets and soft pillows. I just realize how exhausted I am.

            The bell rings. I walk slowly going to the cafeteria. I spot each and every student is lined in a one hundred and eighty degree angle. They seem to have that mutual connection—they only want food—that’s why no one starts to pick up a fight in lining. I line quietly and the person in front of me is Evan McQueen—the captain of the football team. He’s one of a priceless creation by God and every girl in this school is begging on his knees for a yes on a date this prom.

            He waves on every girl who passes by in front of him. I can feel the sinking pit of my stomach. My stomach’s grumbling for food. Yet, Evan’s not moving even a single inch. I want to tell him to move. My lips part but they suddenly combine. I just can’t speak out those words; I’m too afraid I might be beaten up and hang on the tallest possible tree nearby.

            At last, it’s his turn to order his food. I sigh out of relief for I know he is moving forward to the cashier, handing his money. I order some apple pie and squash soup—which is always served permanently everyday—and a bottle of fresh milk to keep my body healthy.

            I walk towards the table where Andrew, Caitlin and Claire are seated, the uppermost left corner of the room. We are not used to gain attention from the people that’s why we want to stay away from them as soon as possible. But I’m feeling something strange with the way the weather goes today. People are staring.

            What’s wrong with them? I swallow the lump on my throat as their piercing eyes are up against me. Did I do something wrong? Or am I just too weak to bring my tray? I look at my food and did not mind to look at my surroundings. Just then, I bump on a hard indestructible matter—Evan.

            My food spill all over the floor and at the back of Evan’s shirt. Oops. I’m doomed. He turns around with his face dark and hard on me.

            “I-I’m s-sorry Mr. McQueen. I-I did not m-mean t-to bump into y-you,” I stutter, leaving myself speechless.

            “What did you just do? You ruined my forty-dollar shirt with the stupid shit you’re doing. Fuck off!” he yells and the whole cafeteria are chanting on his name.

            “Evan! Evan! Evan!” they yell. My whole body is sweating with fear. His fists tighten into a clench and punch me right on the face. I fall down, with my cheek swollen. He smirks, showing his toothy grin on me.

            “That’s what you get when you mess with the mighty Evan!” he says and the students crowd on him lifting his body high. My vision starts to blur until everything goes black.

            “John! John! John, wake up!” Caitlin says, slapping my face with her hands.

            “Ouch! What was that for?” I ask, massaging my swollen cheek.

            Andrew, Caitlin and Claire let out a chuckle. “For being careless. Evan just punched you right on your face. Well, anyways, don’t worry, he’s been sent off to the Principal’s Office,” Andrew explains holding his laugh. I raise my eyebrow on them for feeling disappointed. They did not even bother to help me in the middle of the catastrophe.

            “Where am I?”

            “In the four-cornered room painted with white paint, for short, the clinic,” Claire replies and gives out her half-hearted smile.

            I’m not in the mood of making fun. I feel so helpless. I feel so sad at the same time angry. What can I do? I’m a nerd and I’m weak, weak enough to protect myself.