Chapter Twenty-Five: Margaret of the Marsh

I spent a restless night trying to figure out what to do next. I got out of bed early, still some time before daybreak, and took Christian from his cot before he woke. I was going to wake Epicene and tell her what had happened. I took a candle from above the fireplace – the candles in Castle Eudaimon never went out before the sun rose – and made for the stairs.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when Lady Bertilak was standing outside of my door. My shaking woke Christian, and he began to cry.

Lady Bertilak acknowledged the baby with a nod of her head. ‘I have a surprise for you, Drift of the Lake. The good news I promised last night.’

It was out of the ordinary for the lady to be seen in the north tower, and her presence scared me, but I decided to follow her. She hadn’t hurt any of our party so far; she hadn’t even punished us for stealing from her.

Other than Accolon and Bellina, I don’t think any of us had been into the south tower at that point, but that was where she led me. We climbed about halfway up, and she opened a door to reveal a huge chamber, full of beautiful coloured drapes. It was lit by sweet candles and a smell which I placed somewhere between the fire in Hilda’s hut and the stinkweeds in the river valley. On the walls were a series of huge stuffed stags and boars’ heads, which I supposed were the trophies of Lord Bertilak’s finest hunts. There was a stuffed fox near the door, looking up at me with button eyes.

Lady Bertilak closed the door and went to the translucent silk curtain that divided the main part of the chamber from the sleeping quarters. There was someone behind it.

She drew the curtain to reveal a short, round girl of about fourteen summers. Her hair was blonde and kept close to her head by pins, with only a few loose locks winding around her ears and over her forehead. She had very pale blue eyes and was directing a somewhat tearful smile at me.

I had seen that face only once before, and it had not been smiling. I had seen it through Aglinda’s eyes. It had shown only terror as it was dragged down into the cold deeps of the sea.

It was Margaret of the Marsh, alive and well.

She came towards me, water brimming in her eyes. ‘Drift, you survived! Lady Bertilak said you were here, but I couldn’t believe her until I saw you for myself.’ She placed her hand on my shoulder. She smelled exactly as she had on the boat: of fresh water and good earth. Christian snuffled in his sleep. ‘And you saved this little one, just as you said you would.’ She kissed me on the cheek.

I swallowed. I felt awkward. I backed away.

‘Y-Y-Y-You saved someone too. The girl. Her n-name is Aglinda.’

‘I did?’ A tear dripped from her eye straight to the floor.

‘Y-Y-Y-Y-You did.’

Margaret took me in her arms. I saw Lady Bertilak over her shoulder, nodding encouragingly.

‘One of my men found her at the foot of the cliffs to the north of the castle,’ said the lady, ‘near where you built your boat. That was on the morning after the storm that sank your ship. Margaret here was very lucky not to be pulled out to sea, but nevertheless she was seriously unwell when we found her. For the past weeks Margaret has hovered on the edge of death, and it is only through the constant attentions of my nursemaids that she has recovered her strength.’

‘Thank you again, Lady Bertilak,’ said Margaret.

‘B-But w-w-w-w-w-why didn’t you tell us she w-was alive?’

‘Lady Bertilak didn’t want to get your hopes up, Drift.’

‘I felt you poor children had seen enough death for a long time. When Margaret began to make her recovery I consulted Prince Accolon, and he suggested I wait until she was well enough to join you all in the north tower.’