Chapter Nineteen: The Harbour

‘My brother tells me that you and Mordred are planning to leave the island,’ said Palomina as we left the chapel.

I flinched. ‘W-W-W-W-W-What makes y-you think that?’

Palomina had found a finely made brown woollen dress in the trunk in her room, and a new black leather jerkin with a complex red and gold embroidery down her sleeves and across the back of her shoulders. She brushed some dust from her sleeve as we went.

‘You know why I think that,’ she said. ‘Let me make it clear, Drift, I am not here to act against you. Accolon told my brother what he overheard, and my brother told me.’

‘W-W-W-W-W-What are they g-going to do about it?’

‘We cannot trade if we are stuck in this castle, so Palomides wants to leave; but he also believes Prince Accolon could be a rich customer. My brother will not offend him if he can avoid it. He will, however, not stand in the way of your plan – nor will I, if you and Mordred accept my offer of help. I am not sure what Accolon plans to do. At the moment he rages about Mordred’s lack of proper courtesy towards Lady Bertilak. He gives no indication of whether or not he will inform her of your plan.’

We passed the window of the library, where Epicene was pulling scrolls from a large collection, and headed on towards the bathhouse.

‘Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-You want to join us?’

‘Yes. I committed to Mordred’s struggle against Arthur in the hold of the ship; I have not forgotten that. And what I said on the cliffs yesterday remains true: I do not trust Accolon.’ She gestured at the impressive north tower. ‘This is too good to be true. There is something underhand here. I fear the lady keeps us here for Arthur. We must keep our eyes to the sea, in case he sends men to complete the task the storm began.’

A surge of cold fear ran through my veins. I had been so concerned with Lady Bertilak trying to take Christian from me that I had not considered she might make any other plans against us.

We walked past the great hall and through the second gates. Melwas, Mordred and Agravaine were practising swordplay on the training ground. Palomina stopped and leant against the wall.

It was only now that we were in sight of the others that I began to feel self-conscious about the fact that we were still holding hands. She noticed my discomfort and let go, laughing quietly to herself.

‘I-I-I-I-I’m sorry, I –’

‘Do not worry, Drift, you have not hurt my feelings. Though I fear I may be about to hurt yours.’

‘G-G-G-Go on.’

‘Mordred asked you to build a boat, yes?’

I nodded.

‘Have you built boats before?’

I shook my head. ‘Just c-c-c-c-c-coracles.’

‘I have overseen the repairs of many great ships,’ she said, ‘and feel I am better placed for this task than you. I do not mean to offend, but I would rather that no one drowns when we set sail. I will take charge of building the boat if you let me.’

I felt as if a great weight had been lifted from me.

‘I-I-I-I-I-I’m sure M-Mordred didn’t mean to offend y-y-you either.’

‘We traders understand what it is to be careful with our conversations. Mordred is a natural leader, he has shown that, but he has things to learn. Not the least of them being how to keep negotiations properly secret. Come, let us go and see this harbour the others found.’