Captivation

This is based off The Lost Boys! :)

Captivation

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

"Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal."

Chapter 1: Come What May

The house was beautiful. Overlooking the bay, its marvellous size glistened against the backdrop of the sky and ocean. It was my pride and joy. I loved it.

Not that it was strictly mine; after all, I was only seventeen. Nevertheless I adored living there, in Santa Carla. It may seem a little strange; Santa Carla was notorious for murders and had the highest crime rate in America. Not exactly a safe haven, especially for someone my age.

Although I loved my house and town, the one thing I didn't have was the one thing you really need. Friends. And as much as I liked to fantasise about leaving and finding a bunch of people who would just love to be my friend I knew it was only whimsical and wishful thinking. Why would life be any different anywhere else? Maybe I was destined to be alone. I didn't like it, but I would accept it.

My mother and father were often away. They never were into that whole "family time" and although this didn't bother me, the loneliness could ache, until it was almost unbearable. They were affectionate, well they had been, when I was young and cute - frequently they had called me Duckie, as my younger cousin had never been able to pronounce my name, and had a great liking for ducks, and so the name stuck. I didn't exactly like the name but it was nice to know that at one point my family had cared.

So now, with the summer break looming, I was completely alone, in a house made for eight. You're probably thinking, what's so bad about that? Six weeks of undiluted, parent-free fun. But it wasn't, not for me anyway, what friends did I have to hang out with? None. I would have preferred school, there I had something to focus on, and I could at least pretend that I had a life.

Everyone at school were very scathing with me, they thought I was some rich snob because my parents were well-off. They even started in on my appearance then, making passing remarks about what a state I was. And that wasn't fair, okay I wasn't some beauty queen, like half the girls there, but I certainly wasn't hideous. Or ugly, as some of the more juvenile kids put it.

After these depressing thoughts, which were dominant in my mind as I left high school for the last ever time, I imagined what it would be like if I found some real friends, and had my first enjoyable summer.

Yeah, like whom am I kidding?