Chapter 1: Valentine's Day

If there was one thing that Kathryn Smith hated out her birthday, it would be the fact that she shared the one special day where she mattered with Valentine's day. She didn't have a personal grudge that her older sister of two years Daphne had, but it was quite the struggle to scour for Happy Birthday balloons among the piles of teddy bear's and the 'You Should Be Mine' Valentine cards.

"Happy Birthday little sister!" Daphne cried out as she threw her arms over Kathryn's shoulders giving her one of Daphne's famous bone crushing hugs. Kathryn smiled as she hugged her sister back. Missing the feel of having someone to relate to amongst the horrors that this world threw.

Kathryn and Daphne were both half sisters. While Daphne was born through two parents that loved her deeply, Kathryn was born through the product of an affair. Their father was a wealthy man who took pride in all he did. But he wasn't as faithful as some might've hoped. Among the many affairs he encountered with Kathryn's step mother, one of the was with one of the maids.

Eleven months later, Kathryn was at the doorstep of the Smith's residence naked and crying. Apparently Kathryn's birth mother ran off on her when she was just two months old. Once Kathryn's father found her, she was sleeping in her grave.

She apparently died of an overdose.

Though that didn't stop Kathryn's new mother from loving Kathryn any less. Growing up, it was hard for Kathryn to be accepted among Daphne's family. While they were all blonde haired and blue eyed, Kathryn resembled her mother from the cocoa brown hair to her tanned Mexican skin. The only thing she inherited from her father was the doughy blue eyes.

Kathryn was always the butt of the joke for her looks. People would call Kathryn's birth mother the 'Mexican girl who was a slut and a home wrecker'. Surprisingly, Kathryn didn't say much about it. She didn't want to correct people when they called her such mean things. Especially when it came to her biological mother. To her, Daphne's mother was more of a mom to Kathryn than her birth mother would ever be.

"Thanks Daph. I thought you weren't going to be home until Spring break?" Kathryn replied as she grabbed one of Daphne's bulky suitcases and assisted her in hauling it upstairs to Daphne's once vacant room.

"Yeah but I paid some dude that I've been seducing for a while five hundred dollars to do my work for the week so I could spend some time with you," Daphne said pinching Kathryn's cheek.

Kathryn blushed as she settled Daphne's suitcase in the corner of her lengthy room. Kathryn watched as Daphne lugged her suitcase and heavy duffel bag on her bed. She hated when Daphne pinched her cheek. Especially in public. People would laugh at Kathryn, making her seem as if she were nothing but a dumb Cuban-American with cheekbones.

But Kathryn didn't mind if she did it in the comfort of their own home.

"So birthday girl. What's on today's agenda?"

Kathryn shrugged in response. She had been dating Victor Mordcai since the third week of their freshmen year. Kathryn knew how much Victor liked her and when he asked her out in front of the entire cafeteria room, she just couldn't bring herself to say 'no'.

Three years, five months and whatever days later, Kathryn regretted ever saying yes to Victor. He was boring, always focused on his schooling and worst of all, he was rich. Being surrounded by rich people her entire life, Kathryn despised them more than thieves. The rich were disrespectful, conniving pieces of shit that always looked down on others.

Sadly Victor was one of the conniving little shits who would use his money as a leverage against the other kids at school. There were moments when Kathryn would plan on breaking up with Victor. Via text or maybe email would work. However Kathryn's good natured heart would override common sense and she would stay.