Chapter 2: Learning The Catcall

Kathryn woke up the next to the sound of Daphne and their mom arguing.

Kathryn muttered a short prayer as she decided to intervene. Ever since Daphne had gotten arrested for possession of pot that wasn't hers, she had been under hot water with her mom. Their mom forced Daphne into rehab and the rehabilitation center explained how Daphne showed no symptoms of being an addict.

Of course their mom didn't listen.

"Don't tell me what to do Meredith. If you don't trust your own daughter than you don't deserve to be called as my mom," Daphne spat out before stomping back up the stairs.

Kathryn approached the kitchen and saw her mom clenching a spoon in one hand. Kathryn felt bad for the poor spoon that was experiencing one of their mom's famous death grips. Their mom's grip slacked as Kathryn gently touched her shoulder.

Their mom bursted into tears as Kathryn soothed her back reassuringly. "Why does she hate me?" she wailed as Kathryn continued to run slow but effective circles. Sometimes Kathryn swears that she was the adult in the house while everyone else were children.

Once their mother had calmed down, Kathryn decided to get herself ready for school. She was excited that she had only four more months of high school before she graduated. The sad the was that she didn't know what to do once she would be done with high school.

An half later, Kathryn descended the steps with a simple outfit. A cotton tank top, jeans shorts, her favorite converse and a plain cardigan to complete the look. Kathryn loved dressing up cute to school. What she didn't love was how everyone expected her to dress as if she were walking on the red carpet just because she was 'rich'.

Snatching an apple from the fruit bowl, she pulled out her phone and checked to see if there were any messages from Victor. He would usually take Kathryn to school every opportunity that he had. But even he didn't bother to pick her up anymore.

Deciding on the bus, Kathryn headed out and walked at a leisurely pace to the bus stop. Once she arrived at the bus stop, Kathryn decided to take a look around and she what type of people rode the bus. The last time Kathryn had taken a bus to school was freshmen year and even that was a big blur.

Most of the people that rode the bus were underclassman with the occasional upperclassman. As the yellow bus rolled to the stop, Kathryn was the last person to climb on and felt uncomfortable as rushed memories flooded her thoughts. The worst thing about riding the bus were finding seats.

And when it came to seats, bus riders weren't the friendliest bunch. Kathryn settled down next to a white boy who had sandy brown hair that fell over his eyes. His was quite pale compared to the people that Kathryn hung out with but she did love meeting new people.

"Hello I'm Kathryn," she greeted sticking out her hand.

She was about to repeat herself when the boy spoke.

"Someone is sitting here Kathryn," the boy said his voice low and sultry. Kathryn blushed from the embarrassment and the way his voice sounded. He didn't look like he sounded. He was a little on the scrawny side but from the looks of it, he did look like he worked out.

Stop staring he wants you to leave. Kathryn thought to herself. "I'm sorry I'll get up--"

"No its fine. You're already sitting here anyways."

Kathryn cheered a little inside. She didn't know why but there was just something about this boy that she wasn't used to. His clothes screamed 'struggle'. He wore a large white t-shirt, jeans with holes and beat up sneakers. As the bus stopped to pick up the last set of students before they arrived to school, the boy's head perked up a little.