ch 25

my paws pounded against the ground.  my claws sunk into the soft flesh of the ground and I breathed out.  my eyes opened and I howled. 

Death. 

All around me.  dead torn bloody bodies littered the ground around me.  bloodied wolves, half shifted, torn to pieces; their lifeless eyes looking back at me.  I walked slowly between the bodies, trying to figure out what happened here.  What violent malicious creaturs had torn monster wolves to pieces?   I inhaled and my wolf senses overwhelmed me.  The smell of metallic blood invaded me senses along with a sickenly familiar scent.

Vampire.

A feeling of panic rushed over me.  Something was wrong, despite the bodies littered around me, something was seriously wrong.  I quickly scanned the area and sniffed.  There was only a faint scent left. 

I soft breeze came in from my right and I froze. 

coconut. 

Mate.

a voice in my head screamed. 

I lifted my nose to the breeze and sniffed.  Blood.  my mate was hurt.  my wolf took over and sprinted off into the direction, not caring about the possible danger but wanted to see if my mate was okay. 

my vision was blurred with the speed my wolf was going but we some how managed to dodge all trees.  We came upon a small clearing and Rachael's scent was over overpowering.  We crashed through the trees and froze at the sight in front of us. 

My wolf wimpered and I growled savagely.  Standing a few feet from me was my mate, hunched over with a knife sunk into her belly, her attacker smiling happily at her. 

"See I told you princess, you were going to be mine." Shane said snickering. 

my wolf and I both let out a ferocious growl and snapped our teeth.  Rachael gasped as shane ripped out the knife and pushed rachael over, sprinting out of the clearing.  She fell to the ground with a thud and I bounded over to her.  My wolf was in a panic and she felt our mate slipping farther and farthe away. 

Be calm I need to shift back.

I said soothingly to my wolf. 

I felt a pop and snap and I found myself back in human form. 

"Rachael." I whispered softly. 

she tured her head towards me and smiled.  "Hey angel." there was blood trickling out of her mouth and she slurred slightly her eyes unfocused. 

I knelt down next to her and put her head in my lap, softly stroking her hair.  I looked down at her stomach and her shirt was soaked red, there was a growing puddle of blood around her. 

"Please don't leave, I need you." I whimpered, a tear sliding down my cheek.  My heart clenched in pain. 

Rachael caughed and took in a wheezing breath.  She looked up and me, her bright blue sapphire eyes looking back at me. 

"You'll be okay angel, I promise."

I let out a soft sob and kissed her forehead.  "No," I cried. "I need you.  my wolf needs you.  please dont leave."  I felt like my chest was closing in on itself.  my heart was being ripped apart with the pain of our dying mate.  my wolf curled up into a ball in the daktest part of my mind, already mourning our mate. 

Rachael smiled weakly at me, "isnt the moon beautiful tonight?"

i smiled at her.  She seemed so content so happy.  "Yes baby, its looks beautiful." 

She smiled at me and closed her eyes.  A soft ragged breath left her lips and she slumped her head to the side, her body limp.