Chapter 5

Today Gabrielle and I were going shopping for our dresses for the masquerade ball. We waited for my dad to pick us up in the school's parking lot. So far we've been waiting for him for......... an hour! We wouldn't have to go through all of this if Gabrielle or I had gotten our driver's liscense. Sadly, I couldn't get mine until next three months and Gabrielle failed hers about 22 times.

"Jamie! Where is your dad?"Gabrielle coped her hands into a telescope.

"He should be here by now. He's probably trying to work the toaster again." I muttered under my breath.

"Design Divas aren't going to be open for long." she paced back and forth.

"I know. I hope he's alright. He's never late well most of the times" I looked up to see my dad's car pulling up to the side walk.

"Dad!" I called.

"I'm so sorry, I'm late. I got held up." he pointed to his coffe stained tie that had millions of tiny rips. It looked like his tie got stuck in the blender......again.

"Apology not acceped." I took my seat in the passenger seat.

"Lets just go before they close." Gabrielle closes her door.

15 minutes later we arrived to 'Design Divas'. A clothing shop that Gabrielle adored for some anonymous reason. We came out and gave my dad the signal that he could go and come back. Gabrielle pulled the shop door that set off the tiny bell above. A girl in the boutique uniform came over to us.

"Hi. Welcome to Design Divas. Need some help?" she asked.

"Uh-Yeah. Where can we get some beautiful up to date dresses? You know? For a masquerade ball." Gabrielle hinted.

"Hmm..I don't know. I'll have to check the back for your size." the girl pointed to me.

We followed the girl when she came back. Gabrielle let out a girl gasp and held an amazing red sparkling up to her chin.

"Wow..and exactly your size. What a coinsidence." I pointed out.

"Do you have any in Jamie's size?" Gabrielle asked.

"Hmm.. You might wanna ask Melinda. I'm about to go on break" the girl pointed over to a women who looked like she was in her late 50's sleeping at the cash register.

"Okay.." I made my way over to her.

"Excuse me?" Gabrielle tapped the women lightly. She started snorting like she was having an asma attack, but then we came to her view.

"How can I help you ladies?" she got up and smiled.

"I'm looking for a dress for a ball." I stated.

"A dress, hey? I have the perfect dress. I made it myself. Its magical." she beckoned us to follow her into the storage room.

She showed us a beautiful pink sparkling dress and took it off of the clothing rack.

"Its so pretty." I gazed at the fabric.

"Thankyou. It was made with special rags." the lady stated.

"Rags?" I repeated confusingly.

"Yes. But I used the magic touch and it is now this." she spun the dress around.

"Okay...We'll I'll take it. How much?" I asked.

"On the house. For the both of you." she added.

"Thankyou, but you don't have too."  I took out my purse.

"No, but I Insist. This dress is  magical, you know? They only work if there is a magical spark ignited in the owner's heart" the women put the dresses in the shopping bags and handed them to us.

"Thankyou." Gabrielle said before we exited the doors.

Later at my house.....

"These are magical, you know?" Gabrielle mocked the women's voice.

"Hey, be nice." I playfully shoved her.

"Come on, who has ever heard of a magical dress?" Gabrielle spun around in my computer chair.

"I don't know, but she's just probably old and dosen't know what she's talking about." I explained.

"Whateves, she's loony" Gabrielle laughed.

I held the dress up to my neck and modeled it in the mirror.

"Its so cute!" I squealed.

"It is. Well the ball is in two days so you better get a date." Gabrielle ordered.

"Like you have one?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah. I do. Rayan asked me" she smiled.

"Rayan? Football player. Two braids. Dreamy." I described.

"Yep! Thats him." she said.

"No way!" I hung the dress back up.

"Way!" she closed the closet door.

"When did it happen?" I asked pretending to faint on my bed.

"Well I was walking out of history and he bumped into me. Our books fell and we touched hands trying to pick them up. It was love at first touch..." Gabrielle sighed.

"Wow. You're so lucky." I cupped my hands to my chin and stared at Gabrielle.

"You should ask Jacob." she suggested.

"Nah.. Now I'll be right back. I left my phone downstairs." I got up.

"KK!" Gabrielle shouted.

I skipped down the stairs but stopped when I heard my dad talking on the phone.

"How will I break the news to Jamie?" he asked the person on the next line.

Ask me what? I leaned in closer, but tried not to let him see beside the kitchen wall.

"I know she needs a motherly figure in her life. After Janet I don't know if I can do this anymore. We'll all go for a lovely dinner at a restaurant on friday." he added.

Motherly figure? He couldn't do this anymore? Restaurant? What was he talking about? I couldn't go to dinner friday. What about the ball?

"I understand, Laurice. Okay. We'll tell her tomorrow." he hung up.

It was a woman. Was dad dating again? I had to know. I came out from hiding.

"Dad?" I called.

"Oh, Jamie. Did you hear any of that?" he asked nervously.

"All of it. What dinner? Who's Laurice? Why aren't you telling me these things?" My brain just wanted to explode right now.

"Calm down. I met this woman. She's great. I just wanted all of us to get to know each better so we're going for dinner friday." he explained.

"Friday? What about the ball?" I asked.

" You dont have to go to that silly thing." he said.

Silly? I've been working on that gym for the past three weeks and just to give up all my hard work would just be stupid! Besides I couldn't have another women to come tear my dad and I apart. We were okay right how we were now. Tears escaped my eyes and I ran upstairs.

"Jamie!" he called.

I didn't look back. I ran inside my room, locked the door and cried into one of my  pillows. Gabrielle looked confused. I didn't bother to explain and just sobbed away.

Thx for reading!!

If you like MB books check out:

Why can't I say it? (Roc Love story) by IbeSoLexi

Kissing Games (MB group love story) by DeeDeeMindless