Chapter 11: The Last Fight for Freedom

I hurried out of the captain’s cabin, and I could hear Captain Latro’s footsteps, which implied to me that he was following behind. I wasn’t expecting such an organized group of people when I heard the crew yelling about Redcoats. The Redcoats stood together in a group, and my crewmates were surrounding them. No chaos. Everyone stood watching their enemies’ every move.

I stood on the deck of the ship; my crewmates were now watching me as I stood there with my feet frozen in place. I felt tremors of fear scatter throughout my chest as I stared into the black eyes of the Keeper. He had found me, and he would surely be set on taking me with him at any and all costs. If I wouldn’t go with him, he would surely kill me.

Pushing the fear down, I drew my sword and pointed it at him in a challenge to duel. I knew perfectly well that at least one of us wouldn’t come out of here alive. I watched as a serpent-like smirk crept its way onto his face.

“So it’s come to this, has it, Laddie?” he inquired as he drew his sword.

“Aye,” was my simple response before I swung my sword.

The only sound was the wind gently brushing by and the clashing of metal on metal. I swung my sword at his right arm; he adjusted his sword in time to block my attack. He was quick to take action; he swung his sword low at my legs. Acting on impulse, I jumped over his sword and swung mine downward towards his shoulder. At the last minute, he lifted his sword in a position to block. We continued swinging our swords, attacking and blocking in turn. He eventually landed a hit on me. He sliced my left arm. I winced in pain and let out a groan of discomfort. I instinctively grabbed my arm. I felt a warm liquid run out of the cut on my arm and squeeze between my fingers.

I panted heavily while I put pressure on my arm. I kept a careful eye on the Keeper to ensure he didn’t take a step near me while I was in this injured state.

“Laddie, ye can’t beat me. Ye shall always be mine,” the Keeper stated pompously.

“Nay, I refuse to serve ye any longer. I’d rather be among the dead than return with ye.”

“Then to the grave ye shall go.”

And once more our resolves were opposing ones. The high-pitched ringing of metal-on-metal sounded once more.

Our swords clashed one upon the other in a fight for the upper hand, waiting for the opposer to grow weary. His sharp sword jabbed at me like the sharp tongue of Lucifer tempting the Lord to fall into the despair of sin. But I, like Christ, refused to kneel before the serpent. I fought with all my heart. I swung my sword down fiercely towards the Keeper, but the old man was fast and brought up his sword to block the metal that would have surely ended him.

I swung my sword with all hopes of freedom, all my faith, lying within the power of the sword. I was quickly growing weary from my blood flowing from my arm. I needed to end this fight in this moment. Just as I was about to strike, his sword was thrust into my stomach. I wanted nothing more than to quit, let go, because this would surely be the death of me. But I couldn’t let the Keeper beat me one final time. I would kill him if it was that last thing I did. The Keeper pulled his sword from my stomach and swung at me, but his swing was slightly slower than earlier. He didn’t expect me to be able to defend myself.

I quickly pushed his sword out of line with my hand, which cut a thin line across my fingers. I took this opportunity to thrust my sword into his chest. I stared in his, now wide, eyes, weakness showing throughout his face, and I knew I had a look of triumph; for I had not been stronger before in all my life.

Just after the Keeper fell with a gasp, I fell also. I felt weary as my breaths came out in rugged gasps. “Laddie,” I heard a weak voice groan, “ye must know why I be so persistent.”

I knew then the voice came from the Keeper, “Aye, why were ye so persistent?”

His voice was so faint I could scarcely hear him, “Laddie, yer mother was a servant of mine, but she was also me wife.”

Those were the last words I heard him utter, for he died soon after. I felt tears roll down my cheeks. I could feel the sun being blocked from my skin, and I looked up to see a familiar pair of eyes that were as blue as the sea. Captain Latro knelt down beside me,

“Laddie, ye have done well. We’ll get ye a doctor. Ye will be well.”

“Nay. I will surely die here. I be not afraid anymore. I be free now.”

“Laddie, I don’t plan on lettin’ ye die. But jus’ in case ye do, I knew ye were a girl since the day I met ye in that pub.”

I looked my captain in the eyes once more before I closed my eyes and drifted off.