~ Chapter 14

**Maddie’s POV**

“Mummy, we have to go to Diagon Alley, I got my letter today! Mummy! MUMMY!”

“What?” I ask vaguely, turning to face Olivia.

“Diagon Alley,” she repeats, “school stuff.”

“Oh, right,” I nod, “Daddy will take you when he goes in to work.”

“You’re not coming?”

“Uh, no,” I breathe, “I have to stay with the, uh, the other kids.”

“Mum, are you alright?” Olivia asks, frowning.

“Yeah…” I shake my head, “Yeah, sorry, honey, I’ve just got something on my mind.”

“Right,” she sighs, “well, I’ll go find Dad then.”

“Okay…”

I resume staring out the window. Alithea is sitting in the garden under a tree, staring at her hands. I’ve been standing here, watching and scanning my mind for what could be wrong. Is she pregnant? On drugs? Involved in illegal activities?

“Maddie?”

“Mmm?”

“I’m taking Olivia to get her school stuff.”

“Okay.”

“Oi!” George grabs me playfully around the waist and spins me away from the window. We trip and fall onto the bed. George leans over me, his knees on either side of my legs.

“What’s up?” he asks.

“I’m worried about Alithea,” I tell him, “she seems so… Gone.”

“Don’t worry,” he replies gently, “she’s strong, she’s a good kid. She’ll figure it out.”

“But, what if-”

“Maddie,” George interrupts, “trust me. She’ll be fine.”

I open my mouth to retort, but George pushes his lips against mine. For a moment I resist, trying to turn my head away, but eventually I give in and tug him down so he’s lying against me. I loosen his belt and moments later we’re in a world of our own.

“Mummy? Daddy? What’re you doing?”

George climbs off me and we both look at the door. Carmen is standing there, looking shocked. I glance at George. He’s completely red in the face.