~ Chapter 7

**Maddie’s POV**

“Percy and Penelope had a girl.”

Dad’s voice seems like it’s coming from miles away, from another world. I can’t stop staring at a black spot on the window, I can’t make myself look away.

“They called her Diana.”

I think I make a noise, I’m not sure.

“George misses you. I saw him today. He misses the kids.”

Not all of them.

“They miss him.”

Does he really miss them?

“Maybe it’s time you worked this out.”

Will he turn on them if they become like her?

“He loves you. You know that.”

I force myself to stand up and walk out. I walk down to the park not far from the road and sink down on one of the swings. I feel like someone is constricting my lungs. I can’t get enough air. Tears well in my eyes and I cover my face with my hands.

I love George. Seeing him smile makes me happier than I could ever imagine possible. Whenever he touches me goose bumps erupt all over my body, even if it’s just a slight, glancing touch.

But I love my kids too and they need me. It’s not good for them to hear yelling all the time, to have George and I fighting, to see George yelling at Alithea and that means they can’t have both their parents. At least, not at the same time.

“Dad?” I ask, walking back into the study, “what’s going on with Grimauld Place?”

“It’s empty,” Dad shrugs, “why?”

“I need a house.”

“Maddie-”

“Please, Dad.”

He sighs and shrugs.

“Sure,” he says, “but please, think about this carefully.”

“I will,” I promise. He holds out the keys and I take them. As their weight settles in my hand another, heavier weight settles on my shoulders.

“Hey kids!” I call out into the backyard, “we’re moving.”

“Is Daddy coming with us?” Fiona asks. I shake my head.

“Just us,” I tell her, trying to sound optimistic, “so come on! Pack your stuff!”

**Fred’s POV**

George looks terrible. I mean, I’ve always been better looking, but he used to give me a run for my money. Now it’s like he’s deflated, he’s lost weight and, don’t tell him I told you this, but there’s a few grey hairs starting to appear.

“How’re you doing?” I ask him. He gives me a look and I sigh.

“I know,” I say, leaning against the wall beside him, “look, if you want to come and stay with us-”

“No thanks.”

I look around the room. Most of the family is here, celebrating the birth of Diana Grace Weasley, but without George’s family there’s a huge gap and everyone feels it. Mum keeps shooting George looks, but he doesn’t seem to notice. He doesn’t notice much anymore. There’s no life in him.

“I’m going to go,” he sighs quietly.

I watch him disapparate and then turn to Stephanie.

“You should talk to her,” she says gently, “you’re one of her best friends.”

I wrap my arms around her waist.

“I love you,” I tell her quietly.

I knock on the door of number 12 where Sirius said Maddie is and a few moments later Olivia answers the door.

“His Uncle Fred,” she says, “Mummy doesn’t want to talk about Daddy.”

“Olivia!” Maddie walks into the hallway, “don’t do that, it’s rude.”

She looks up at me and smiles somewhat sadly.

“Hi Fred,” she says, giving me a hug, “hey, Olivia, run off and play, will you? Fred, come down to the kitchen, do you want tea?”

“I presume you know why I’m here,” I comment. Maddie nods, putting the kettle on to boil.

“I’ve been expecting you,” she says, fishing around for mugs and sugar, “did George or Stephanie send you?”

“Stephanie.”

Maddie nods.

“I thought it might have been her,” she says, pouring out the tea. She sits down opposite me and waits, sipping her tea. I stir mine slowly.

“I don’t know what to say,” I tell her, “I don’t understand why you left him. What’s going on?”

She runs her fingers through her hair.

“I don’t know,” she sighs, “we’ve just been fighting all the time and he… He said he wished Alithea had never been born.”

She can’t meet my eye as she says this. She stares down into her tea. A tear slides off the end of her nose and leaps into her mud, splashing and causing ripples. I watch the ripples settle and let out a long breath.

“I don’t know what to say, Madz,” I tell her, reaching over and taking her hand, “do you think you can work this out?”

“With George? Yeah,” she says, wiping her eyes, “but with Alithea and him… I don’t know.”

“He does love her.”

Maddie laughs.

“Got a funny way of showing it,” she says, “I think… I just need to do what’s best for the kids.”

“Which is growing up without a father?”

“Which isn't them growing up with parents who yell at each other all the time.”

I look at her carefully. She doesn’t look as old as she is, she still has a youthishness about her, but I can see a few tiny wrinkles appearing around her eyes. Or maybe that’s just the light.

“Alright, it’s your choice,” I shrug, “but let him visit, yeah?”

“Of course,” Maddie says, “I have no objection to him being around them! It’s just when both of us are…”

“Look, I’d better get back,” I say, checking my watch, “do you mind if I pop in and tell him what’s going on?”

“No,” she says, “but could you also tell him…”

She looks down at her tea again, her hands shaking.

“Tell him that I love him.”

___________________________________________________________________________

I was rereading chapters last night and in chapter 113 or something in A Master of Mischief they were talking about how bubbling and sweet Alithea would be when she grew up... *Bursts into tears*

So, thanks for all the messages I've been getting about Ask the Author, I'd love if everyone could send me a question!! You can just put it in the comments if you like!