Trust?

Chapter VIII

                As Kid looks at his new friends’ apartment building, he smiles.  He turns around to leave, then hears footprints from behind him.

                “Kid, wait!”  The voice registers in Kid’s mind as Maka.

                “Oh, Maka, how are you feeling?  Soul told us you were sick.”  Maka begins to walk next to Kid, trying to smile.

                “I am.  But I feel less nauseous, so that’s improvement.”  She breaks into a coughing fit, and Kid tries to approach her.  She holds out a hand to stop him.  “Stay back, this may well be contagious.”

                He pauses and backs up.  “Right.  So is your soul perception back?”

                “Nope.  So why were you in our apartment building?”

                “Oh, I walked a new student home, and she invited me to stay a couple hours.  It just so happens that she’s staying in the same apartment as you.  I don’t think you’ve met her yet.”

                “I’m bound to, given that she lives in my apartment complex.”  Kid and Maka walk a little further, their footsteps creating the only sound, when Maka broke the silence.  “You like her, don’t you?”

                Kid stops dead.  “W-what?!  I just met her!  I hardly know anything about her!”

                Maka stops next to him.  “That doesn’t mean you don’t have a crush on her, Kid.  Crushes often start at first meetings.”

                “She’s just a friend, okay?” he says defensively.

                “Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?”  Kid doesn’t reply, so Maka decides to tell him why she came to talk to him.  “I may not know her or her meister personally, but I’ve seen them.  There’s something… off about them.  Without my soul perception, I can’t be sure, but I thought I’d let you know.  Be careful of them.  See you later, then.”  And Maka leaves without giving Kid a chance to reply.

                Sighing, Kid continues home, not bothering to use Beelzebub.  Trying to get his mind off of the previous conversation, he thinks about all of the homework he has.  Basic stuff due tomorrow, an essay at the end of the week… maybe someone could help him with that.  But who?  Oh yeah!  She’s doing well in school!  Then he pauses.  But… didn’t Maka just say to be careful of her?  Ugh, I’m just now learning to take my father’s place.  I can’t get distracted like this!  But Kid finds himself debating in his mind over what to do.  He didn’t realize when he had arrived to his mansion, and probably would have walked straight into the door, had someone else not opened it and yanked him through by the collar.

                “Kid!  Where have you been?!  I need your help!  Patty was being bad, so I took away her giraffe stuffed animals.”  Liz’s panicked expression doesn’t faze Kid’s calm one.

                “Not exactly seeing the problem here,” he says, looking around to see that his house was still perfectly symmetrical.

                Liz drags him to Patty’s room, where she opens the door to something that may well be worse than Stein’s madness.

                A red liquid smeared onto the wall spelled out GIRAFFE along with many other streaks.  Patty had somehow managed to not only find the knives, but stick them into the ceiling as well.  The room was freezing, and as much as Kid wants to faint from the asymmetrical appearance of Patty’s room, a terrific screeching keeps him conscious.

                “She’s gone into giraffe withdrawal!  Do something!” Liz screams into Kid’s ear, pointing to a huddled up Patty sitting in a corner of her room, mouth agape.  She’s the source of the screeching.

                Kid sighs.  “It’s going to be a long night.”