Chapter 28- Hope

On a gloomy street, only a stone’s throw away from the slums a little girl looked out of a grimy window. A thunderous knocking had brought her upstairs, to the room she shared with two sisters and three brothers, searching for safety. Looking down, she saw her father, pleading with a hard faced man dressed in the palace uniform. She felt the slightest bit of disgust as she watched her father gripping the man’s leg, on his knees. Where was his pride? The man’s lip curled in a sneer as he pulled out a shiny silver pistol, the girl gasped. A shot rang out, rick-a-shading down the street and up into the grey sky, shattering the peace. Her father crumpled to the ground, and the piercing sound of her mother’s scream was accompanied by her body, reaching out to hold her husband.

            Her older brother ran into the room, pulling her away from the window just as a second shot rang out. Then she could do nothing but cry, and try to stay quiet, for fear of joining her parents. But the man didn’t come into their house, just rode away.

            She could feel her brother’s arms trembling, but when she looked up to comfort him, she saw that he wasn’t sad, or even scared, he was terrifyingly angry.

            Serena found Cain sitting on the roof with one of the serving girls. She probably would have smiled at the implications, had she been in the mood for smiling. Instead she forced herself into his mind and took over. Cain, under her control, stood up at climbed back inside, only to have the servant leap in front of him and bar his way, her icy blue eyes flashing. For a moment Serena froze in shock, but then she shoved the girl out of the way using Cain’s superior strength to clear her pathway.

            The girl once again blocked her way, placing her hands on Cain’s chest. Serena felt her grip on him slip for a moment, and Cain shuddered, torn between her will and his own. Serena felt herself fall for a second, a dizzying dropping sensation, but then she pushed her way back into his mind.

            Then there was a surge of force from the corner of his mind and everything went appallingly clear for a brief second. And then she was falling, tumbling and screaming, out of his mind. She collapsed to the ground with a scream of agony. Two guards raced to help her, but she pushed their minds away with a flick of her wrist.

            Unbidden tears of pain streaked her face as she tried to control the agony in her head. She had been ripped out of his head and now her own was in shreds. When she finally got to her feet, panting, the pain had ebbed to a dull ache. Brushing salty tears off her face, her rings grazing her marble cheek bones, she rushed out of the throne room.

            She felt a burning sensation in her stomach, a mixture of shame and fury. Most importantly, she was worried, worried that now he had fought against her and won, he would do it again. And without the power of her nephew, she was fragile, weak. Retreating to the privacy of her rooms, she pulled off one of her rings. It was the smallest of them all, a slender silver band with no markings or adornments.

            Blowing lightly on it, she watched as mist poured out, thickening and swirling. Gradually it formed the figure of a woman, slender and tall with snow white hair.

            “Hello sister.” Serena said.

            Cain fell back, slamming into the wall violently as the queen was thrown out of his body. He gasped for air, exhausted from the effort.

            “Cain?” Tessa kneeled in front of him, looking at him with uneasy eyes. Then she smiled. “It’s you!”

            He nodded, matching her smile with a grin of his own, unusually genuine. “It’s me.”

            “How did you do that? I thought it was impossible.” She said breathlessly.

            He shook his head. “I don’t know. I’ve woken up before, but always after she was done with me, when she didn’t care as much. This time, this time was different, she fought me for control.”

            “You won.” Tessa stood up, offering her hand. He took it, standing up with something like pride. “You know what this means?” There was a malicious gleam in her eye.

            “What?”

            “You can beat her. And then you can make her pay for what she’s done.” The sunlight caught her hair, making it glow like a halo around her pretty face. She was breathtaking. “What?” She asked, noticing him staring.

            But then a cloud passed over the sun and Tessa once again became a normal girl. “Nothing.” Cain said softly, but the memory was still there.

Not much to say about this chapter. Part two was probably the most climatic, what do you think happened at the end.

We got to see Cain this chapter, which is always a plus. I have horrible horrible things in store for him, so don't worry about the general lack of Cain bashing.

The next chapter will focus on Resa, Matthew, and Ross.

Sorry if it takes a while, I've recently gotten hooked on a really badly made Korean drama. Has that ever happened to you?

 PLEASE PLEASE vote. I haven't been getting many votes lately and I hope its not because my writing is bad.

If my writing is bad then please use the comments to tell me how to get better!

Thanks so much!