Chapter 25: Memory p2

The girl was avoiding him. Every so often Cain would catch a glimpse of white-blonde hair disappearing around a corner or he would see a flash of pale blue eyes, only to find her gone. It was infuriating. He had so many questions for her. Mainly, he wanted to know how she had escaped the prisons. For an infamously inescapable dungeon, an awful lot of people had been getting out lately.

            As commander he should probably look into it, post additional guards. He couldn’t let some of the more dangerous prisoners escape, and if the Queen found out more people had escaped there would be hell to pay.  But secretly, Cain was cheering for the escapees. They had something he didn't, freedom.

It had been a month since Resa and Matthew had left. At least Cain hoped they had left. They could have just gone home for all he knew. But no, he assured himself, Resa had made a promise. He had to believe she would keep it or he wouldn’t be able to endure.

            The Queen had sent him on another mission. This time it was a young man who owed money. He had two children. Their clear eyes had stared out from behind their father’s knees, staring at him unafraid. He couldn’t get their eyes, burning into his, out of his head.

            Cain was sitting on his roof, coat flaring out at his sides. The sky was clear of all snow and he could see millions of brilliant stars mapping out the sky above him. Standing, he inched his way to the edge. The courtyard was empty, miles away. When he stood here, up in the heavens, the sky surrounding him in a blanket of shining, white stars, he could almost believe he was the only one in the world, he could forget what he had done. More than a few times he had contemplated walking off the edge of the roof. Let the wind rush in his ears as he plummeted into the paved stones below. But not tonight. Tonight he was content to be alone with his stars and the fresh, chilled air.

            “Don’t do it!” He started at the noise, only just avoiding toppling over the edge. Irritated at being interrupted, he turned to glare at the offender. His eyes widened and his anger dissipated. He stared into the cool blue eyes of the girl.

            “What? Do this?” He waved a foot out over the abyss and she lurched forward. “Relax; I’m not going to jump. I’m out here for fun.” She didn’t look particularly convinced. “Come on,” He reached out a hand to her. “It’s incredible, you can see everything.” She looked dubious.

            “Won’t you fall?” She looked… afraid.

            He shook his head. “Don’t worry, I won’t let you slip.” She nodded and took a tentative step onto the roof, her hand gripping his. She lowered herself onto the roof, hands flat against the roof. Cain sat down next to her. He leaned back against the roof, arms folded on his chest. After a moment she did the same.

            “Why do you care anyway? I thought you wanted me dead.”

            “I do, I mean, I did. I’m not sure. I want you to pay, but something in me just can’t seem to hate you. Not completely, at least.” She stammered. It seemed oddly out of character for her to be so unsure. All the times he had come across her she had been so certain of what she was doing. Not now.

            There was a moment’s silence.

            “That made no sense.” She frowned.

            “It didn’t, did it? Ok, how about this: When you killed her.” Her breath caught, “When you killed her, there was something different about you. Your eyes, they were dead. And then after the Queen took my heart there was a moment when I was just… gone.” She paused. “Am I crazy?” She stated her question to no one in particular, but it was Cain who answered.