nine.

A/N: Hi everyone! I uploaded my first video on my YouTube channel, and it's about my trip to Senoia, Georgia this summer! I usually don't self-promote, but I'd really appreciate it if you all checked it out :) the video is linked above. Now, on to the chapter!

~

[CHAPTER NINE]

~

Later that night, as the fire began to die down and the Gladers slowly began retreating to their hammocks, Eleanor found herself making her way back to the Homestead. Her legs ached with fatigue and her body begged her to go to sleep, as she wasn't used to getting up so early and working. Though as Eleanor approached the Homestead, her cot on the second story of the rickety building calling her name, she stopped in her tracks as she heard the whispers of two familiar voices.

"What do you want, Minho? It's late, I'm bloody exhausted, and my shuck ankle is hurtin' like a mother." Eleanor recognized the frustrated voice as Newt's, and this immediately sparked her interest. She hated the fact that she was currently eavesdropping, though her curiosity that she felt towards the secretive conversation got the better of her. The two boys were standing on the far end of the Homestead, sheltered by the shadows of the trees.

"You seem happier these days," whispered Minho, and Eleanor could almost hear the smile in his voice as he spoke. "Really, I'm glad to see that you've changed your mind."

"Yeah, well-" Newt seemed rather uncomfortable, as if the topic of the conversation bothered him. His accent seemed much stronger due to the way he was talking so softly, and impatience laced his words. He sighed loudly, and Eleanor could just see him run his hand through his blonde hair. "I dunno, Minho- I think it has something to do with Eleanor. I can see the stars in her eyes, and that makes me think everything is going to be okay."

It was silent for a moment, and Eleanor was about to peak out to check if the two boys were still there, though Minho then began speaking once more. "Have you been drinking Frypan's saucy sauce? You can't see shucking stars in someone's eyes, Newt." Eleanor heard Minho clap his friend on the back, and then the sound of gravel crunching under his shoes as he began walking away. "Besides, you've only known her for- what- a day? No need to go all love-struck on me, yet."