Chapter One

Popularity Passed Down

Chapter One - I'm Related to High School Celebrities

Today is the first day of school. I'm not looking forward to it, but it must be done. I'm the youngest of four, and it's my turn to enter the fascinating world of high school. It's about seven in the morning when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs so I quickly dumped my plate in the sink and grabbed my bag. It wasn't my parents since both leave early for work, so I knew it was my three older siblings. I truly love them but I don't want to catch a ride with them. I would rather walk to school. You see, my siblings have a reputation to uphold and I don't want to be a part of that.

I made it to school in time to see my best friend Sarah waiting in the front. Just as we were about to walk inside I saw my brother's car pull up. Rodrick, Veronica and Marcel stepped out of the car and not a moment later they were surrounded by their "friends". I looked at them for a second until I realized I locked eyes with Rodrick. I grabbed Sarah's hand and ran into the school before my cover was blown. I didn't know where we were going but I didn't care, I just wanted to get out of there.

Sarah knew that I didn't want the world to know I was related to some of the most popular people in this school so she didn't question my weirdness. We walked around for a good few minutes until we found our lockers. Sarah's locker was two away from me. When the bell rang for first period we parted ways. She had Biology and I had Algebra. The class was a few doors down from my locker, so I walked in picking the seat in the back, and right next to the window. When the final bell rang, the teacher did attendance.

"Katherine Lane?"

"Here."

"Do you have any older siblings?"

"Um, yeah."

"By any chance are you related to Rodrick, Marcel and Veronica?"

How am I supposed to answer his question? I knew it's a matter of days, or even hours till people find out who I am, but I didn't think it was going to be minutes. I don't want people hanging out with me to get close to them. I want real friends! I can't lie to the teacher either, that's not who I am.

"How the hell is she related to the three most popular people in this school; she isn't pretty enough, smart enough and this thing has no a--"

"There is no need for all this talk against your classmate; I want you to apologize."

The outburst from a random kid saved my life. I'm a bit offended but at least my secret is safe for another hour. That kid's voice sounds familiar. It can't be. I turned around and came face to face with him. Jacob Dales. My personal middle school bully. He always picked on me, but I don't know why.

After attendance, our teacher introduced himself as Mr. Anderson. He went on and on about class procedures and all that good stuff. When the bell rang, I waited until most of the class was out to talk to Mr. Anderson.

"Kathrine, right? How may I help you?"

"To answer your question earlier, I am related to them but please don't tell anyone."

"I see, I won't say anything, you have my word. Also, I know what it's like to have older siblings in high school. All my teachers expected me to be like my older brother."

"Really? How did that turn out, if you want to tell me?"

"That, Ms. Lane is a story for later, when class isn't starting in a minute."

"A minute?!"

"Don't Worry, take the pass, I feel that it is somewhat my fault that you are still here."