Chapter 11

I jolted awake with my hand covering my mouth so that I didn't let out a blood curdling scream. Bad dream? Check. It was about snakes, I hate snakes. They seriously freak me out, especially when they are surrounding you in their hundreds just yearning for a taste of you.

I reached up with my hands and rubbed the dry crusty sleep out of my eyes, having a quick stretch while I was at it. While twisting my torso in each direction to crack my back, I got a look at my clock. My heart quickly picked its pace back up from about two minutes ago in split second.

10:33 a.m., Thursday. Crap!

I threw myself of out bed and rushed hurriedly into the bathroom across the hall, accidentally slamming my shoulder into the door frame along the way. I had been feigning sick to Sara and Mark for the past two days so that I didn’t have to go to school and show off my scratch marks from Monday. I knew that I had to go back on Thursday from the start, I was just hoping that they would be gone by now. Taking a quick glance in the mirror confirmed my doubts about their disappearance.

I huffed angrily before getting out of my pyjamas hurriedly and hoping in the shower. I let out a yelp of surprise when I felt cold water hit my body as I hadn’t waited for the water to heat up, until it gradually warmed to a more enjoyable temperature. The only reason I had to go today was because I had the first part of a chemistry assignment due that I had been working my ass off on my days off to get finished. There was no way in hell I was going to do all that work and not hand it in on time. Sara had gone into school Tuesday to get my bag for me, so I had everything that I needed.

I, of course, let the days slip away from me. So now here I was, tripping over myself trying to get some sensible cloths on. After yanking my brush painfully though my damp hair in frustration and slipping my feet into some matching shoes, I grabbed my USB of my desk chucked it in my bag and ran. I hastily grabbed a honeycomb yoghurt topper bar from the pantry on my way out, making sure to lock the door behind me.

***

It was 11:05 by the time I had finally reached school. I had chemistry in fourth period so I still had some time to spare. I signed myself in at the office, earning myself a glare full of suspicion from the receptionist lady, before I headed off to dump some things into my locker.

Walking up the last of the twisting and confusing corridors – that I was finally getting the hang of finding my way around – I heard a commotion. It was coming from the hall that I was about to turn onto, where my locker was situated. As I crept closer, the voices became distinguishable as did the conversation.

“... not going!” a deep irate voice growled, being as loud as possible without drawing any wanted attention from surrounding classrooms. It only took me a second to realise that voice belonged to William. I stayed carefully out of sight, wanting to see who the conversation was with, and what it was about.

“Well you don't get a bloody choice! You know the rules as well as I do, it’s compulsory to go at least once,” argued a voice that sounded equally irritated. I was astounded when put a name to the voice. Matt? I wasn’t all that startled that Will was arguing with someone, but Matt? I didn’t have any further time to dwell on this fact as the sound of something, or someone, being slammed into the lockers brought my attention back to the present.

“I don’t give two shits what the rules say, I'm not fucking going! They’ll have to drag me there, those sick bastards!”

“They will!” Matt concluded sternly, sound frustrated that William wasn’t listening to him.

I came out from to corner I was hiding around in alarm once I heard the lockers being slammed into. Will was holding Matt by the collar of his shirt up against the lockers. Both men had murderous expressions on their faces. They must have heard me somehow, because as soon as I stepped out, both their heads snapped in my direction. Once they noticed it was me, their expressions changed from angry, to surprised, to worried, and a couple of others that I couldn’t work out. I was starting to feel uncomfortable under their scrutinizing gazes, so I decided to break the silence that had descended on us.