Air Conditioner

"Christ, it's freezing out! Hey Bon, can you see the weather on that thing?" Shima whined as he tightened his academy jacket around himself. His rooster friend raised a clenched fist at him, but took a deep breath before speaking.

"If I was able to see the weather, that'd mean I would be close enough to a cell tower to get my location. Seeing as how I have no service, I don't think I can get the weather, and checking will just drain my battery." I saw where he was coming from, and I'd get irritated too if I was pestered about something like that. I sighed to myself and rubbed my hands together, the friction doing little to warm my numb fingers.

"We should all try to sleep, the night only gets colder from now on. When we wake up, it should be warmer." Even though Yukio's logical answers normally bother me, I couldn't be any happier to have him here. His words usually quelled our agitation and kept everyone calm, for a moment at least.

I heard a few murmurs from my peers and soon enough, we were all laying down, waiting for sleep to take us away from our reality. As I glanced up at the night sky, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of urgency strike me. For what reason, I had no idea. The starless night unsettled me as well, the overcast sky didn't promise a happier morning.

.oOo.

I was startled awake by a loud crack, my eyelids flying open and my body tensing. The first thing I noticed was the fierce wind that hit me as I sat up, the chill was enough to make my eyes water. Our fire was just barely lit enough for me to see the surrounding trees. The branches swayed and bent at odd angles, making anxiety bloom in my stomach.

Another gust of wind blew and a loud crack echoed in the night. I jumped when a branch fell not even ten feet away from me. I jumped to my feet and took a step toward Izumo, who I immediately started to shake. Her tired eyes opened wide and she smacked me, "what the hell?!" She paused, assessing our surroundings and realizing what I just had. We were not safe out here. She turned to me, red irises shining with worry, "wake the others."

I nodded and moved on to wake Shima and Bon, who both had similar reactions. Izumo had waken Shiemi and was in the process of getting Shura up as well. That left my twin, which was odd, he was usually a light sleeper. I nudged his arm, but he didn't even shift. I didn't have time to wake him politely, so I dropped to my knees, which hurt like a bitch, and grasped his shoulders. I shook him and he slowly came to, "wha..? Huh..?" His eyes flew open, "Rin, what's wrong?" His voice sounded muted, even more so than it sound with the howling wind, but I couldn't quite tell.

I jumped when another branch snapped and hit the ground a little farther away. Yukio immediately stood from his makeshift bed and grabbed my arm, pulling me toward the van. "Everyone get inside! It's not safe out here!" There was something wrong, but I couldn't seem to put my finger on it. It also didn't seem like the right time to ask questions, seeing as the world around us was falling.

He pushed me in before him and I sat down in almost the exact same seat I had when we crashed. The rest of the group came on our tails, well, my tail for sure, and piled into the van. "Ow! That was my heel!"

"Shut it!"

"Don't even start," my brother growled out, which startled my classmates enough to quiet them.

Shura was the last one inside, all eight of us crammed into the back on the vehicle. I watched as Shura tried to close the door to no avail. She kicked at it and cussed, the wind blowing inside and making me shiver. "It won't fucking close, ugh!" Shiemi was right behind her and tried helping her, but she only succeeded in bending her finger in the wrong direction.

"Just leave it open, even if we close it, we have the broken windows to worry about." Yukio stated dully and I felt the wind tickle my neck from behind me. Shura huffed and sat down on what little seat she could. It was her, Shiemi, Yukio, and I in a three person row. The fact that some of the seat was also taken up by the smashed side of the van and the branch also made it a tighter fit. I could feel my brother pushing up against me as to not be up against Shiemi. She was practically in his lap and I could tell that he was flustered.