Chapter 2 - Gains and losses

© Sandra Corton 2014

Chapter 2 – Gains and losses

Winter’s POV

I saw them all converge on the Elite dorm and I sighed. I tucked the bag of choc chip cookies I’d made him as a welcome present back into my hoodie pocket. He was the only one I remember from that whole day of enrolments.

Just like me he had looked like he wanted to be anywhere but at the Academy. His anger had been pretty stunning because I knew just how that felt. Mangalow Academy was somewhere I was forced to be too. When he told me he wished he could go back to normal I wanted to cry. He didn’t know how lucky he was but in the same breath I could understand him too.

I knew he didn’t know about my lack of anything even remotely resembling a power, simply by the way he treated me. His mother knew though which was why she had looked down her nose at me and been so rude. I should have been angry about how she acted earlier but why bother; I got the same attitude from everyone but my family.

The thing is I just wanted to be his friend. I’ve got to be the only one that can understand him. He doesn’t want his powers and I would give anything to have them. We both had what the other wanted but neither of us could change the situation we were in.

Still with pervert Cole and tawdry Quill he would be popular and have lots of friends. It made me wonder though if that would make him happy. I left them to it; after all he had powers so why would he want to spend his time with me?

I stared out my window at the Elite dorm across the way. The only room that had windows facing our house was the biggest and the best room in that building. When the light flicked on in there I was surprised. Nobody took that room because it faced mine.

All the power filled kids were scared I was somehow going to steal their powers in the middle of the night so none dared to go near that room. Bunch of morons. I wasn’t a power stealer, I was simply powerless. I was a normal, average mortal human.

I watched as Caspian sat down on the edge of his bed and put his head in his hands. My heart went out to the poor guy. He had left his home to come here and that wasn’t an easy thing to do. I was thankful then that Dirk, the butler in taking care of him had left the window open.

“Bad night?” I asked across the distance between us and he jumped up from the bed startled.

“Uh yeah you could say that. They just let themselves in, how do I get rid of them?” He gestured downstairs and I could see hear the noise they were making from here. It would seem that Cole and friends hadn’t exactly been invited.

“Tell them that if dinner is abandoned they will be made to eat it in the morning. The older ones will understand.” I told him with a vicious little grin and he perked up.

“It’s that easy?” He asked doubtfully.

“Yeah but don’t tell them that I told you.” I pointed to myself before grimacing.

“Thanks Winter.” He sent a warm smile my way and I’m sure my heart fluttered

“Winter Mangalow don’t you dare make me come up there and zap you down here.” I heard my mother call out and I knew it was dinnertime, which made my stomach grumble in response.

“Coming!” I shouted out before sighing.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore my family and they love me unconditionally. They don’t care about me not having any powers while they are stocked full of every power imaginable. I still had moments even with my family where I felt I never fit in.