Chapter V [] Everyone Meets Xin []

[][][]

Shi Li wandered about the confines of the ship, exploring below the deck. It seemed to be where the crew lived, in cramped, dimly red rooms right beside the engine room and the rhino hold. She peeked through the archway to the engine room, curiously watching the looming shape within, gleaming with hot coals and puffing out smoke. A man in plain dark clothes stood by, boredly throwing a few black stones into the furnace when the fire would start to die. She cautiously walked in and up to him, arms locked respectfully behind her back.

“Hello,” she said, bowing her head, “my name is Shi Li. I just started living on the ship a few days ago.”

The furnace man stared down at her intimidatingly. He had a cold depth to his eyes, partially covered by long black hair. The ever-breathing glow of the coals cast shadows over his face, gaunt and bony and decidedly brooding.

When he didn’t respond, Shi Li continued.

“It’s pretty early, so no one’s awake upstairs yet. I thought I’d go exploring. Is this your only job?” she asked, looking around the dark, hot room. “Or do you work in shifts?”

He threw another coal into the furnace. It hissed sharply.

“Well, I guess I can see you don’t want to be disturbed… I’ll just go back to the deck where there’s nothing to do,” she said dejectedly, about to turn around, when the man grabbed her wrist and broke into a warm smile, completely transforming his face from sullen and moody to comforting and musing.

“I’m sorry,” he said, voice gentle and distant, “were you speaking to me?”

Shi Li blinked in surprise.

“Yes, I was!”

“Next time, tap me on the shoulder first,” the man said, cracking his knuckles, “I’m a little hard of hearing, and if I’m not expecting to be spoken to, I probably won’t notice you’re even here.”

“Got it!” Shi Li said excitedly. “My name is Shi Li! Nice to meet you!”

“I’m Xin. Pleasure to meet you,” he said, giving her a rough pat on the shoulder. She stumbled a bit under his strength.

“So, Xin, is this your job?”

“Yes it is, all mine, throw some coals in the furnace and think, all day long,” he said, deep voice earnest and relaxed.

“And you… like it?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, it’s the best I can get. I’m not bad in combat, but I’m no firebender, and I don’t have any experience with running a ship. I was lucky to get this job. Don’t have to fight other nations, just sail around looking for the Avatar…”

He pulled a low stool out from behind the furnace and sat down, so tall that when he sat, his knees almost reached his shoulders, making him look awkward and limby.

“Why would you be fighting other nations?” Shi Li asked, kneeling on the floor in front of him, orange hair glowing like fire in the light of the furnace.

“Because it’s our destiny to take over the world,” he said with a chiding laugh, tossing another coal into the furnace. “A hundred years ago, my people set out to conquer the earth under the rule of Fire Lord Sozin. They destroyed the Air Nomads, where the Avatar was supposed to be reincarnated, and have been working on gaining the entire Earth Kingdom. The Water Tribes are both still independent, though.”

He gazed into the simmering coals, forlorn.

“Who is the Avatar?”

Shi Li watched him expectantly.