Wild Famine

Mia Santana    

            Everything would always be black, and then just like that it would all come to life screaming. The air humid with hot breath of the roaring crowd.  Mia could taste the stench of body odor on her tongue gasping for air. Another foot slam into Mia’s side, a small hoarse cry escapes her mouth. Like the final scream of a dying old woman, though Mia was far from old.  The boy that kicked her backed away and signaled for the others to come forward and do their part. Mia covered her flaring ribs. “Get her hands”, someone shouted. Mia is pulled to her feet. Two guys press her hands into the rough icy brick wall. Edges of brick cut through her thin pajamas and dig into her skin. The loud screams instantaneously stopped at the signal of his hand. The room unnaturally quiet.

            “Anything you want to say before we begin”? he’d ask. Mia couldn’t find it with in herself to look him in the eyes. She wouldn’t be able to keep herself together. Just hearing his voice alone, made Mia want to break down in tears.  The boy wore the same boyish smile he wore if he had won a football game, now when about to deliver the reaper. “Look at me”, He ordered. Mia not waiting to hear it twice raised her eyes to reach his. Mia stared in terror but in disbelief as well. She couldn’t understand how he could look so innocent when he was about to do something so vile. The others moved in closer creating a barrier trapping her against the wall. All their faces fixed with the same expression.

            The boy who still wore the innocent boyish smile moved in on Mia until his body now pressed against hers. Mia could feel his hot breath on her face.  “You want this”, he said, his voice menacing.

            “No I don’t”, Mia whispered her voice broken.  His smile dwindled. Mia watched on as his face transformed from an innocent angel to this devil. This face is the face she recognizes.

“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger”. He insisted. “And you want to be stronger don’t you”?