My responsibility

I walked out the house then back to the forest. It was even darker. I passed the brush and shrubs and went to a small pond. I sat on a mossy stone at the bank and stared into the glittering blue water. I stared at it in curiosity. Something about the pond looked familiar. Was it how the water flowed silently, the water sparkled familiarly or that my face was reflected in it. My eyes widened in shock. I stood up and stared at it. It couldn’t be. I was seeing visions. Little feet were trampling in the forest. Children’s laughter. The sound of a familiar bird singing and a little blonde girl with great grey eyes mocking it. “Hello son,” A voice said. I turned around and saw my Dad standing behind some wild brush. He came out from behind it and stood next to me. “I thought you had forgotten about this place,” Dad said. You and Samantha loved to come here when you were kids. You threw precious sapphires and diamonds in the water to make it sparkle at night and you named it The Heart Of The Ocean after a sapphire that was lost a long time ago in the sinking of the Titanic. You two used to think you had magical powers so you said you put a spell on the pond that only you two could ever find it and that whoever tried to find it would fail.” I couldn’t believe Dad remembered this and I didn’t. I tried to remember it more. We used to say a special chant before entering the bank of the pond. It was at the tip of my tongue but yet I couldn’t remember it. Then suddenly I did. I remembered Samantha singing it:

When the light hits the earth, you will not be seen

When the moon comes up your true beauty shall gleam

When evil draws near, you put on an invisible mask

You remove it when you hear this chant

You are The Heart Of The Ocean

Hikaru no yoru idiena, Kuresentu Daiyamondo Tsuki Hana

I could remember Samantha singing that every night. How her grey eyes glowed in the moonlight. I remembered how we sneaked out our houses at the age of 7 to go to our secret pond. Somehow Mom never complained although she knew about me sneaking out the house in the middle of the night to go in the forest with Samantha. I could remember how Samantha said we were putting the pond to sleep and pleasing the Sapphire God. I remember us playing at the clearing during the day. I remember us plotting to continue the clearing project for my fore father. I remembered how we got snuck out saws from Samantha dad’s shack and used them to cut down some of the slender trees. We would work all day in the clearing then, at night, I took piece of the biggest tree we had cut down for the day and we showed our pond it. Then we would throw it in the water. Samantha said the Sapphire God was pleased. She was the only one who could hear what the Sapphire God was saying. Then she told me that I was the son of the Sapphire God because of my metallic blue sapphire eyes which meant I was a prince. I believed her and I told her I would marry her and I called her the Princess of Diamonds. We were meant to be together. Then we got married when I was 13. I had welded two silver rings for us in my Dad’s engineering shop. That night, I wore my tux what my Mom had bought for me to attend a wedding earlier. She wore a white dress with silver platform shoes. That night we sat and prayed to the Diamond and Sapphire God to make us one. Then Samantha took a sapphire and a diamond from the pond as a sign of both Gods’ approval. She stuck the sapphire on her ring and the diamond on mine. That’s when we kissed for the first time. I had to admit I had never felt such a way before than when we first kissed. Even a kiss with Asia couldn’t top my first kiss with Samantha. Samantha and I really grew up in the forest. We were together for our entire life until I turned 16. That’s where Nadia, sex, alcohol, guns, killing and blowjobs came in the picture. After that I was a complete jerk to her. Thinking back to my past made me feel like an idiot. How could I treat Samantha like that? How could I say she was way too obsessed with me? All she ever did was love me no matter what. And that is how I treat her? For being with me my entire life? But I’m in love with Asia now. I couldn’t go with Samantha. I don’t deserve someone as perfect as her. I still couldn’t get her singing that chant out of my head. I couldn’t get her face out of my eyes. God, I couldn’t get over her big grey eyes sparkling in the moon light. How I loved those eyes. Then I realised how much I loved Samantha. “Son?” Dad said and I stared at him. “Training starts tomorrow at sundown don’t be late.” I stared up at him as he got up and walked away and disappeared into the forest.