Chapter 2

THOR

Unfortunately, I don't grab her before she hits the ground. And there's a nasty crack as her head hits the tiles. Max and I stare at each other and quickly pull her up so she looks almost like she's standing. Don't want a crowd or anything.

Max whispers furiously, "What kind of girl asks you if you're a werewolf?"

I grunt back, just as stupefied. "Max. What kind of girl believes you when you say yes?"

He wrinkles his nose, letting go with one hand to flick her face, "Nutter."

"Hey!"

"What?"

"Maybe I'll knock you out and flick you in the face, huh?" I mean it's true, she clearly is a nutter. But a little respect is surely standard form here...

Most of the people charging through the corridors don't really look much further than their friends, or the floor, or their next class. But this one younger girl sees us and I see her eyes get large and scared. I smile like it's a joke or something, and turn a bit so my back is blocking Jade from veiw. We have her propped against the lockers but suddenly her head rolls forward, and I feel worry creep over me.

"You don't think this is our fault do you?"

"What, because you told her you're a werewolf?" I snap at him. Then I sigh, "No, she's probably just got concussion. That'll be why she's still out." I start to feel a bit better, and Max looks suddenly cheerful again. "You'll have to carry her to the nurse."

Huh? "Why me?"

"Because-"

But he lets go and she slumps down so I have to grab hold of her. He grins at me and I pull a face at him as I heft her into my arms. People see now and I grin at their varying expressions. I laugh as Max goes ahead of us, "Make way! Make way!"

He pretends to ring a bell and people actually get out of the way. We go past people we know and they start calling out to us, laughing. "You know Thor, I warned you you'll get arrested if you keep kidnapping girls!"

Max rolls his eyes, "Yes, but there's just no reasoning with him."

We get half way there and I feel Jade move a bit. Then her eyes open. I keep walking but luckily don't bump into anything because I'm following Max. At first she just stares at my blazer and closes her eyes again but they suddenly snap open and she stares up at me.

"Werewolf!"

Ah. That's less good. "You passed out."

"Pumedown!"

I can't do this while she's struggling like a crazy person however, so I just have to keep walking. It strikes me as really funny that she's fighting so much she's red in the face but still has no effect on me at all. But when she sees me grinning she gets very angry.

"ThordowngroundsoIwalkcanshoemeput!"

There's cat calling and cheering and I wonder when a teacher will arrive to tell us all to get to class. Max turns around with not a bit of concern, "I wouldn't put her down Thor," she continues to babble incoherently, "sounds like she really does have concussion."

"Hear that Jade? You have concussion."

"Noo! Put me down!"

I let her down but her legs collapse under her like she's a puppet and she drops to the ground. I just pick her straight up again. This gets a big laugh from the people lining the corridors. I don't care, she is pretty hilarious.

I'd tell her we're nearly at the nurse's office but we aren't, and every new corridor there's someone to whistle and clap and make her more embarrassed. "Thooor!"