eight years ago

Eight years ago...

"Ahh!" I scream as Sam starts to squirt his water gun at me.

"Oh come on, you can take a little water," he says with a smirk. Even as a little kid he knows how to smirk. Then he dumps a bucket of water on me. I squeak out a scream. The water is so cold it feels like he dumped a bucket of ice on me, but it feels good in the summer heat.

"I'm gonna get you!" I yell.

"Only if you can catch me!" he says as he runs away. I immediately run after him.

We run through the yard and down the hill. We squish Mrs. Maine's garden on our way to the pier. When I finally catch up to him at the end of the pier we're both out of breath. Sam catches his breath first and when he does he squirts me and I laugh. We're having so much fun that we don't even notice Natalie coming toward us.

"Emma! Emma! You gotta come quick!" my cousin, Natalie, screams as she runs down the pier. She looks like she's been running for a while. Her face is ghostly white and she's crying.

We run towards her. "Nat, what's wrong?" Sam yells.

"Natalie, is everything okay?" I yell. By now Sam and I have reached the beginning of the pier.

"Emma," she sobs, "S-s-someone is f-floating b-by the d-d-docks," she stutters, looking very scared.

We run down to the docks, Sam running ahead. Natalie and I are almost to the docks when we hear the most girly scream we have ever heard, we would have laughed if we hadn't been panting so hard. Natalie looks like she's about to pass out. When we finally get to the docks Sam has already dragged a body out of the water and is trying to do CPR, or what a ten year old thinks is CPR, when I realize who the body is my heart stops and I almost faint.

"Emma! What's going on?" Taylor says as she runs toward us. She's 15 and she thinks her cell is the coolest thing in the world, we do too. She's tall and blonde. Her wavy hair bounces as she runs, never falling out of place.

"My s-s-sister, she l-looks d-dead," I stutter as she comes closer.

Taylor gets out her cell and starts to dial nine-one-one. My aunt is running toward us, she looked like she had been cooking before all the screaming started happening. She's wearing an apron and has flour on her face. She looks like she should be carrying a roller and maybe have a chef's hat on her head.

"What is going on?" my aunt asks as she comes toward us.

When she sees the body Sam is trying to revive she starts to scream, but then thinks better of it. She asks us about what's going on, this time we tell her what happened. By the time we finish telling her everything we can hear the sirens.

"Alright everybody, move back," says one of the paramedics as she starts to load my sister onto a stretcher.

Finally I can't take it anymore, I start to scream and cry and I can't stop. I collapse on the ground and roll into a ball. Sam comes over to me and hugs me; he rocks me back and forth and says reassuring things to me. It helps, but I know none of it is true.

We go to the hospital. When we get there we are told that there had been nothing they could do to save my sister, she had been dead too long. We have the funeral a week later. My dad comes for the funeral; it's the first time I've ever seen my dad cry. I wish my mom were here, I bet she would know how to make everything better, but she left when I was a baby. Right after the funeral I leave for home.

The house is so lonely without my sister. They say it gets easier, that eventually you don't miss them as much. It's not true. I will always miss my sister. She's the only person in this family who cares about me, and now she's gone.

—————————————————————————-

I started writing this about 3 years ago and then I kind of got writers block and stopped writing. About a year ago, I started looking back at my stories and I realized that this one needed some work, or at least the ending did. At the time, I didn't really have the motivation to rewrite this but now I do. So, I am now rewriting this story's ending. Hopefully you all like it :)

I am not doing much to the prologue through chapter 7, other than editing them a little, so they are basically the same.

I rewrote all of chapter 8 and I will be writing more chapters and trying to update them as often as I can but it may be slow. Thank you so much for reading!

This is definitely a work in progress so tell me what you think of the beginning! Thanks!

Thank you ObsessedWithRandom for the AMAZING cover :)