Chapter 26

Dedicated to Trumbelievable for their weird reasons for why Julian and Sara shouldn't end up together. 

Picture of the bracelet Daniel gave Sara in the multimedia bar (changed it to bracelet since I couldn't find a charm bracelet that fit the image in my head) along with Rose Garden by Nick Jonas and the Administration. The song has no relevance. It's just so chill. Haha.

Chapter 26

With the sleeves pulled over my hands, the hood over my ears and my knees tucked into the bottom of the sweatshirt, I probably looked like a fleece-covered rock sitting on our porch swing. But it was way too early in the morning for me to be up and vanity wasn't really my first priority.

"Happy birthday!" I heard someone yell from a few feet away.

"Hey, Nate." I looked up, smiled and waved a fleece-covered hand at him. "You're a day late." I laughed at the sight of the cupcake in his right hand and the thermos bottle in his left.

"Duh. But you disappeared on me last night so I never got to greet you one on one. Well, I could have but not without yelling over some really loud music." He smirked. "I came by here a day late to give you your present." He smiled like a goof and jumped on the porch, handing me the cupcake.

"A cupcake?" I chuckled, accepting it and hastily taking a bite. "How original." My words were muffled by cupcake bits and frosting which made Nate shake his head and chuckle.

"That's actually Mom's gift, not mine," he corrected me with a satisfied smile. "She wanted me to remind you that there're eleven more where that came if you're willing to stop by after school."

"If I could, I'd stop by your house right now and finish all eleven in one sitting." I laughed. "Your Mom doesn't have a secret plan to give me diabetes, does she? Though 'death by cupcake' doesn't seem like a horrible way to go."

Nate just shook his head at me and continued to watch as I happily ate the rest of the cupcake. When I was done, he handed me the thermos bottle. When I took a sip of the warm, sweet coffee, I was practically humming with happiness.

"You ever think you'll get tired of eating cupcakes one day?" he mused as I was brushing bits of food off my clothes.

I crinkled my nose at the thought and shook my head. "Pigs'll have to fly first."

Nate laughed. "So why're you sitting out here so early in the morning?"

"My truck broke down," I sighed.

"Again?" He was fighting off laughter. "Need a ride to school?"

I shook my head. "Daniel's coming by soon."

"Ooh, the boyfriend. For a moment there, I forgot I didn't occupy the number one guy spot in your life anymore," he joked.

"You never occupied that spot." I playfully shoved him away, causing both of us to laugh. "Dad's always been the number one guy in my life. Adam's a close second.."

"Ah," Nate lowered his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "But that's just what we tell them so they don't get mad." He chuckled. "So what'd the boyfriend get you for your birthday?"

I decided to let his 'the boyfriend'comments pass and pulled up the left sleeve of my sweatshirt, showed him the bracelet hanging off my wrist. It was a thin, dainty silver chain with a tiny silver beads fastened in middle along with an inch long silver bar.