Prologue

Waverley Hall
London, England 1836

"Mr. Jones, it's nice to see you again. Do come in. I believe the Viscount is expecting you."

"Thank you, Baxter. Is Victoria around? I have something for her."

"I believe she is sir. Please go on ahead, his lordship is in the study. I will inform Miss Victoria you are here."

Marcus knocked on the study door as Baxter retreated upstairs.

"Enter," came the Viscount's voice from the other side.

"Buried in accounts again I see," teased Marcus.

"Marcus, my good friend." Acknowledged Johnathon. "Please, help yourself to a drink. I am almost finished here," he said looking down and returning to his correspondence.

Marcus poured a drink, and was just about to sit when a familiar head full of glossy brown curls poked itself around the door.

"May I come in Johnathon? Baxter tells me Marcus is here." Before Johnathon could answer however, the girl was halfway across the room.

"By all means, do come in," mumbled her brother-in-law facetiously. Marcus chuckled at the sarcastic comment, well aware that the intended party paid him no mind.

"Well, what do we have here? Let me have a look at you," as he twirled Victoria around. "I must say, you have grown my little imp into a beautiful young lady. Why one day soon Johnathon you will have every young pup from here to Paris beating down your door." Victoria blushed at his compliment, Marcus however did not notice.

"It has been several months since we have seen you. Where have you been Marcus?"

"Victoria," intoned Johnathon. "It's not proper for a young lady to ask a gentleman where he has been."

"I'm sorry, Marcus. Please, do forgive me. Shannon tells me I can be obnoxiously, nosy at times. I'm desperately trying to change however," she said with a dramatic sigh.  Two seconds later, she had forgotten her manners all once again.  "Baxter said you wished to see me, that you have brought me something?"

"Victoria!" Chastised the Viscount.

"It's all right Johnathon. I am sorry for staying away so long Victoria. I'm afraid I was working on a very troublesome case. However, while I was abroad, I happened upon this and thought you might like it." He said as he handed her an oblong box wrapped in brown paper.

Victoria accepted the gift excitedly, and opened it immediately. Her face fell however, as she lifted the lid and pulled out the China doll. Marcus' next words would only confirm what Victoria was thinking.

"Do you not like it? The lady at this quaint little shop assured me all little girls like to collect them."

Victoria looked at him in horror as tears began to spill down her face.  Devastated,  and embarrassed by her emotional display,  she dropped the doll and fled from the study. Marcus turned to the Viscount.

"What the bloody hell was that all about? I don't understand, does she not like dolls?"

"Marcus," said Johnathon, as he shook his head and headed for the door, "For a detective, you my friend, I must say are altogether clueless. I best go and find Shannon, so that she may have a talk with the child." The Viscount left the room in search of his wife Shannon. She would know how to soothe her young sisters broken heart.

Marcus just stood there in the Viscount's wake scratching his head, confounded and wondering what he could have possibly done wrong.

Sadly, he wouldn't find out until five years later.