Chapter Four

TWENTY-ONE YEARS OLD:

"Maria McLean, you are late!" Helena's voice rang out from her office as I attempted to sneak past. I halted at her door, smiling weakly at her.

"Yeah, I'm sorry; it's just this thing with Alex-"

"Ah! Boyfriend troubles! Say no more!" Helena said, standing up and walking over to me, smiling.

"I really am sorry, Helena,"

"It's alright, dear! Leona covered for you! Just go get ready!" she replies, placing a hand on my face. "Your hair is just lovely today!" she finishes. I really do love my boss, she is so understanding and nothing fazes her. She's so optimistic.

"Thank you. My little sister done it for me," I explain. Emily had come round after she'd seen the interview with Alex and Jack. I'd tried to make her go home - my Dad would go ballistic if he found out where she was. But she'd refused and even said she'd help me get ready for work, which let me know how sorry she felt for me. My job wasn't usually a topic of discussion for us. We usually remained on safer subjects, like Alex or her school or how my Mom, Dad and Tyler were.

"She does a better job than most of the girls here!"

"She's only fifteen. Sixteen in December," I tell her, for no reason. Helena smiles and pats my cheek, signalling that our conversation is over. I walk through the main room, past Leona at my usual platform, waving at her to let her know I've arrived. In the dressing room, I hang my coat up and sit down at the mirror. I apply some light eyeshadow, eyeliner and lipstick. I stare at my reflection, wondering if the red rose Emily placed at the side of my head to hold some of my hair back is a little too much. In the drawer marked 'Maria' I find my baby red stilettos and leave my worn converse in their place. As I slide my sweatpants off, I check the clock. Nine fifteen. I'm twenty minutes late. I'm unbuttoning my old faded shirt as Leona knocks on the door, sticking her head around it.

"Hey, Leona," I say, smiling at her. "Thanks for covering for me,"

"Oh, it was no problem! I'll probably be covering for you a little while longer, anyway," she tells me, winking at me.

"Huh?"

"Somebody wants to see you," she says, placing her hand on her hip.

"Who?"

"I don't know - I've never seen him here before. But you were specially requested!" she replies, grinning at me. This isn't unusual, maybe slightly rare; we're sometimes requested for private parties. It's better money, so it's considered lucky if you're the 'chosen one'. I'm one of the few girls who don't like the private parties. This tends to be when you get the grabbier men, the sleazier ones. I'm not going to protest - I was the girl they asked for, plus, I could use the money! I'm behind on the rent this month.

"Are they in the back room?" I ask. The one I'm referring to is our biggest private room - you can fit thirty people in there.

"Yup," Leona grins at me.

"How many people?"

"Just the one, that I'm aware of,"

"Oh," I reply. That's strange. Leona takes the lipstick from the counter and reapplies a new coat. I check my hair in the mirror a final time, step into my stilettos and thank Leona a final time. Wrapping my robe around me, I head out to the back room. When I step inside, I find myself surprised by who the customer is. It's Alex.

"Maria McLean," he grins at the sight of me, he seems relieved.

"Alex... What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see my girlfriend," he says, walking over to me and placing his hands on my hips.

"Alex, I'm working," I tell him. I'm not exactly in the mood to entertain his antics. I need rent money and I'm not sure how I feel about what he said in the interview.