Chapter Five

Chapter Five

IN REGARD TO Emilienne Lavender, John Griffith had made up his mind long ago. And John Griffith was not the kind of man who changed his mind. If anyone had paid closer attention, they would have guessed that John Griffith’s feelings toward Emilienne Lavender maybe stemmed from something much more potent than hatred.

It was the way he watched her. At the post office, in her yard, through the window of the bakery with her hands deep in dough, a smudge of flour on each cheek and her hair tied into a thick chignon at the nape of her neck. For seventeen years, John Griffith’s lust for Emilienne Lavender pumped through his veins, bled from his gums. It was the red that polluted the whites of his eyes, the pink that flushed his cheeks. It was the jealousy that burned the back of his throat whenever he saw his son with Emilienne’s daughter, Viviane.

John Griffith was an angry, prideful man who believed he deserved much more than life had given him. He worked as a delivery-​truck driver for a small laundry in Pioneer Square. Most of his meager wages were spent in the opium-filled dens of Seattle’s Chinatown. So, since 1925, the year the Lavenders moved onto Pinnacle Lane, his wife, Beatrix, cleaned houses on First Hill much grander than her own. His son’s lengthy newspaper route took three hours to complete. It was only through Beatrix’s and Jack’s combined hard work that the Griffith house was kept from the edge of squalor.

“You’re a disappointment, Jack,” John Griffith once told his son. “You always were.” At the time, John and Jack were sitting at opposite ends of the kitchen table. Jack was watching his father finish off another bite of chocolate cake.

Beatrix would often think back on this moment, but neither her son nor her husband would even remember that she had been there, too. Only a few months earlier, more than two thousand American sailors had launched the United States into the Second World War. Going to war meant many things, but for Beatrix Griffith, whose son was only seventeen and, thankfully, too young to be drafted, it meant only one: food rations. It was hard enough trying to keep peace at the dinner table, what with a husband who insisted on meals of choice​-cut steak when the Griffiths could barely afford the vegetables Beatrix grew in her own garden. With the looming disappearance of eggs, sugar, and butter, finding ways to appease John Griffith at mealtimes was going to be harder than ever. She’d have to hide food stamps from him in order to make sure she and Jack had enough to eat. It was perhaps because of this guilt that Beatrix had given in to her husband that particular night: he’d demanded his favorite dessert, and she’d used the last four eggs to make it.

John Griffith rarely let anyone watch him eat, said it gave other people the impression he was weak. (Or human, Beatrix had thought at the time. Not that she’d said so. Not that she would ever dare to say such a thing to John Griffith.) But tonight was an exception. Tonight John Griffith’s wife and son would be granted the honor of watching him enjoy every delicious bite.

John Griffith pointed his fork at Jack. “Amos Fields’s boy is captain of the football team,” he said. “Roy Zimmer’s will be taking over the family business when he gets back from the war.”

“I have a job —” Jack started.

John jumped up from his chair and flew across the table, knocking the plate of chocolate cake to the floor. He froze with his fork poised at the Adam’s apple in Jack’s throat.

“You want a medal?” he asked, his voice like ice. “Think you’re some kinda hero for having a paper route?”

Jack winced in spite of himself, causing a cold smirk to appear on his father’s frosting​-covered lips. John stabbed at another piece of cake while his wife wiped the other mess off the floor. “Then there’s John Griffith’s son, my son,” he said between clenched teeth, “who will only ever be remembered for fucking the daughter of the neighborhood witch.” John snorted. “That will end, Jack. It’s about time you start being useful around here.”