Chapter 1

There are those lucky few in life who are just born with a gift. Some can paint, some can sing, some are just naturally born athletes. And at that exact moment as I walked down the street of New York City, I found myself wishing that I had been lucky enough to be born with one of those talents. A talent you could actually use without everyone looking at you like you belong in the mental ward. I was a seventeen year old girl, was that really too much to ask for?

I should have been cold, but with all the adrenaline pumping through me--and the fear that I wouldn't make it home on time--was surprisingly making me very warm. I would occasionally glance at a few people, quickly walking by, as they stayed bundled under their heavy coats and mittens. I however had on my normal attire--jeans, boot, leather jacket, band t-shirt, and my impossibly frizzy and uncontrollable dark hair that I had compromised with this morning to at least put into a ponytail.

I stuck my hand in my pocket and pulled out a crumpled up paper with the address on it. I groaned as I read my scribbly hand writing, knowing none of this would be over until I did what I was asked to do. He suddenly appeared beside me, walking in easy strides, a small smile on his face.

"Thank you for doing this," He spoke, causing my irritation to increase even more.

"For the last time, I am not doing this for you. I am doing this so you will leave me the hell alone." I spoke through gritted teeth as I heard the smart ass chuckle beside me. 

"Now, Carter, we both know that's not the only reason you're doing this."

For the first time I looked at him in shock. "What are you talking about?"

He nonchalantly shrugged, his hands casually in his pockets, and that same stupid grin on his face. "Carter, I know, and everyone else who needs your help, know that you try to act like a badass who hates the world. And when you are asked for help, you genuinely want to help us. You can't keep acting as if the only reason you act like a good person is because you want to get rid of us."

I looked straight ahead again, a scowl on my face, as we continued walking. "Oh, can't I?" I bit my lip after I said those words, realizing that it actually sounded like I was agreeing with him.

He let out a small chuckle, obviously catching onto my words. "I've seen your family, Carter. You don't think you're anything special over there. Not with the amazing brothers and other family members you have. You just want to feel important. That's why you do this."

I shook my head angrily. "You don't know anything about me."

"I know enough." It was all he said as I stood there, stopping, glaring at him. He continued walking and after he walked a few feet without me next to him, he turned around and walked backwards as he called out to me. "What?"

"That's it, I am done." I gripped the crumpled paper in my hand tightly. "I'm not helping you anymore."

Ding, ding, ding! And there it was again, his stupid wise ass smile that I hated and had seen way too much of. "Now, Carter, you and I both know that isn't true." And just like that, he faced forward and began walking without even so much as a look back at me. I stood there, ignoring all the crazed looks I was recieving from passerbys. I checked my clock and cursed aloud when I realized I only had twenty minutes until I had to be home. I looked back up to try and watch his retreating figure yet I wasn't surprised when I looked up only to see he was...gone.

I groaned as my feet began walking towards my destination as my mind screamed in protest. I looked up at the numbers on the buildings I walked passed and stopped when I found which one I was looking for.