Chapter Four: Extended Visit

                Jonathan stood there looking out to the large lake, as the ghostly wisps of fog and cloud parted to let the sun shine upon the azure waters. He felt awed by how serene everything looked.

                "John, we're trapped." Richey said looking over the lake. This drew John's eyes to him.

                "What?" Was all that John could ask.

                "John, the road back to Denver is flooded and further up the mountains it's likely buried under a bunch of rocks and also flooded." Richey said as he looked back at him. "We're standing in the creek bed, and the only road in and out of town runs right next to it until it reaches the springs" Richard's eyes were dark and full of worry.

                "What are we going to do?" John asked while returning the look of worry on his face.

                "I'm not sure..." Rich said "...bet let's get back home, I don't think Eric or Sophie will be long if the only road is out on both ends of town." He finished and turned to follow the creek bed home.

                The fog remained thick for an hour, and as the sun rose higher in the sky it finally started to dissipate. Eric and Sophie weren't home yet and John and Richard sat in the dark of the house within the living room waiting for their return. Jhon simply watched the fading fog out the window for any indication of the trucks lights. He didn't need to wait much longer because in the distance the fog started to glow gold a bit and it only grew brighter.

                As Eric breached the fog, John could see that the back of the truck was loaded with stuff. Richard peered over his shoulder to look to when he heard the truck start to pull up to the house over the gravel.

                "Y'think we'll need all that?" John asked. Richard didn't reply, he simply looked at the truck and it's contents. When Eric came to a stop Richard strode out the door and went the help Eric and Sophie unpack the truck, John followed to do the same.

                "What's the news?" Richard asked Eric as he and Sophia got out the truck.

                "Bad" He replied "The Town is cut off further west and I was told that we're flooded in from the other side just short of our house"

                "We are, John and I did some exploring and saw the water drowning the road just below the drop near here." said Richard as he moved to the back of the truck and dropped the door. "It's like a lake, you can probably swim to the other side but driving though is impossible." he continued while picking up some bags filled with food.

                "That'll probably make getting supplies to town that much harder" Sophie added in as she came around to help.

                "What'll we do mom?" John asked wondering how long their stay has been extended as he started to grab a large paper bag of heavy cans.

                "I'm not sure but it seems like we're stuck here until they can clear the road."

                The four of them them continued to clear out the truck of supplies and loaded it mostly in the kitchen of the house. None of the sure of what to do. John was happy to stay longer but troubled about the circumstances of it. His mother constantly looked at her cell phone to see if any bars were on it but since the storm last night it seemed the cell towers were out as well as everything else.