Chapter Two: The storm

Chapter Two: the Storm

                “Why don’t you tell him a normal bedtime story Scarlet?” asked Eric as Richard climbed into bed. The door was closed but Richard could hear his father whispering from behind it. “Like ‘Jack and the beanstalk’ or ‘the three little pigs’- wait, bad example, that one has a wolf in it too…” said Eric, his voice sounding a little worn out when he finished talking.

                 “I’m just telling him a story that my grandfather told me Eric” Richard’s mother said. “It’s important for him to know it” She stated.

                 “That’s not how I remember ‘Red riding hood’ being told” Eric retorted.

                 “That’s because your parents sweetened the story for you Eric” there was a moment of silence and then Richard heard the sound of a kiss coming from behind the door. Scarlet then continued “He’s fine Eric; he has heard this story before.”

                 “But he’s always so sad about the ending; I hate it when he’s so sad over a story”

                 “My grandfather told me this story for a reason Eric, I need to tell it to him for those same reasons” Scarlet finished. After that it was quiet behind Richard’s door again. Richard heard his father’s footsteps moving further away as the floorboards betrayed his presence. Richard pulled the covers closer to him and held a stuffed panda bear in his embrace. Scarlet then opened the door and peeked inside.

                 “Ready for bed now Richie?” she asked.

                 “Can you make the story a happy ending this time mom?” Richard pleaded.

 “Maybe next time sweetie, but for now, you should hear this story as it is.” Scarlet answered. In response, Richard pouted his lips, furrowed his eyebrows and held his panda tighter in his embrace. Scarlet stepped inside his room and settled down on the edge of his bed next to his feet.

                 “Once upon a time” she began.

                Richard slowly woke up as a beam of sunshine was slowly crossing his face. Opening his eyes, Richard looked out the window to see the sun peeking over the mountain tops and setting the top most trees aglow with wild shades of greed and gold. Stretching and sighing, Richard slowly got up, motioned to the window and opened it. Crisp autumn air met his nose, and the morning call of numerous birds filled his ears. This had to be the best morning Richard had ever awoken to.

                 Jonathan was still asleep when Richard peeked inside his room. He was beneath a massive pile of comforters that slowly rose and fell as he breathed. This was the only indication that Jonathan was in the room at all. Richard had decided not to disturb the sleeping mass of blankets, indeed he decided to coax its slumber by making a good breakfast.

                 Stepping lightly, Richard crept in the hall, down the stairs and toward the kitchen, but once he opened the door, he was met with the smell of bacon, eggs, French toast and fresh squeezed orange juice. Sophia was already up and making everyone some breakfast.

                  “Good morning Richard” Sophia said as she saw Richard standing at the open door. Sophia was still in her red cotton panamas wearing his dad’s baby blue apron, with only a black bandanna holding her bed hair in check. She rolled up her sleeves as she began dipping bread into the French toast batter she had made. “Have a seat, breakfast will be ready soon” Sophia said in a cheerful manner.