Foreboding the Whispers

It was humiliating really. I, the stronger and quicker creature, being cuffed and escorted to my doom. Maybe everyone had been right. The good guys always win... Who was I to think the cold blooded killer could make her way to her very own "happily ever after"? Now, I was to be tried, found guilty (since the proof was obvious and I'm hated monster), and hung for my crimes.

Jarren! So much had happened in the hour between my trip and this mess that I had forgotten about my love. Last I saw him, he was being dragged mercilessly from my arms and shouting that he would fix this. Boy was he in for it. He couldn't save my sorry ass, no one could. Poor guy would have to carry on without me. He would be better off though.

Thunder clapped, shaking the ground and me out of my thoughts. Sirens surrounded me, drops of freezing regret flooded over me. Oh, and there was the rain pouring over everyone, like I needed that fun little addition. The cherry on top of my miserable day was the realization that I had done this to myself. It was my stupidity that let myself be turned. It was my blood lusting weakness that had led me to feast on a defenseless friend. It was my decision to try to escape that had brought up my instincts to kill another innocent bystander. It was the beast inside of me that was ruining my life.

Relinquish the power to me. I'll make your decisions. I can right your wrongs. The voice was right. It would probably make way better decisions than me. Maybe it was time to give it a real name. Something all-knowing and supremely powerful would suffice. You can call me Elsiph. That is my name. That would work. Had it come up with that itself? Never mind the creepy side of this. Maybe Elsiph could save my life; I could be with Jarren again. I perked up with certainty as I felt a smile lurk upon my face. Just listen to me my child, I will fix everything...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listened as I paced in my cell. The dark, damp, brooding room pierced my soul with a lonely and rather depressing anxiety. I waited to hear Elsiph's voice. The silence I received only worsened my situation. Had Elsiph abandoned me completely now? I lied on my rock-hard cot and thought.

Minutes. Hours. Days. Hell if I know. I lost all sense of time. I felt alone as I danced with my regrets. Love. Hate. Weakness. Strength. Nothing really mattered. Regrets and hopes just lounge in your poisoned mind only to torture you, to pull your strings. And once they become bored with their doll, they give it a new dance partner. Death. Then they find a new pet to play with. It is a never ending cycle. Despite what your religion may be, you still end up dead at some point. The only thing that changes is the puppet master.

A storm was brewing outside my prison. I heard the elements outside and decided to peek out my tiny, barred, window. A huge crash nearly shook me off my feet, but I managed to look outside anyways. The winds threw tree branches and debris against the gloomy walls. The rain poured a depressing mud over path outside. A solemn tree stood outside, alone and broken, with debris surrounding it. I tried to see further out in the darkness. There seemed to be a dark cloud, baring a different shade of black then the sky. The cloud seemed to funnel down. Winds whipped violently everywhere I looked. The rain grew thicker, becoming a deep sob from the sky.

I thought nothing of it as I laid back down on my cold cot. It was a bad storm as far as I was concerned. Sleep my daughter. Lay down your thoughts. Lay down your head. Lay down your fears and regrets and hopes. Just sleep. Elsiph's voice was enticing. It pulled me to her. Yet, it was gentle. I laid down, letting my eyelids grow heavier and heavier. How long had the voice been away? Never mind that child. Let go of your storm. It cooed sweetly. And sleep....

And the sleep she cast over me clouded everything. I was once again at her will. She was my puppet master. I, her puppet.