Thanatophobia

A/N Inspired by the book series The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

I screamed, my knees buckling, my eyes blinded by the mess of my brown hair falling over them. I clutched at my thigh, my fingers tracing the deep teeth marks that would no doubt leave a scar. 'Levi!' I called out, no reply. I heard grunts, the fighting was still going on. It was only a few demons, mangy bloodsuckers that we had been told to kill- at least the pay was decent for these ones. 'Levi!' I called again. This time, I felt a palm clutching the exact spot where the teeth had sunk in, ripping the flesh apart. The teeth of a demon that I had lost my sword to as I plunged it into his heart.

'What the hell did you do now, Eren?' Levi sighed, the black sparks beginning to encase his hands as he attempted to heal the bite, his magic weak from overuse. I shrugged, gritting my teeth to ignore the biting pain. I looked down to see the marks closing over, the flow of blood seeping through lessening. 'I don't have time to get rid of the poison. Get out. Mikasa will come when we've killed them.' His usual boredom was tinted with fear. We were taught to deal with situations such as these but that didn't make it any easier. Demon poison wasn't something that Levi could just fix.

Demon poison could be a death sentence.

I paid no attention to the continuous pain. Trying to blind myself instead of having to watch the guts of the demons spill against the pavements. Humans were lucky, they never had to see this. They couldn't see this. Humans did not have the sight and without the sight, the shadow world was hidden behind the veil of black that only otherworldly creatures could pull back. Such as shadowhunters, like me, warlocks, that was Levi and more. Vampires, werewolves, seelies, all of them. All able to see behind the veil. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Through blurred eyes, I watched the fighting, all hope of not seeing the gruesome scene lost. At least, with the knowledge that it was Levi fighting, I felt a little more comfort. Especially with the fact that he was not fighting to kill but to protect me. That was Levi, despite his nonchalant personality, and often quite rude attitude, he protected the ones he loved to his dying breath. And somewhere along the journey, I had become one of those loved ones.

'Eren, Eren, are you okay?' I panicked voice came, a girl's, quiet and calm. Mikasa, no doubt. She must have spotted the wound, she wouldn't have stopped fighting unless she had. Mikasa, my adopted sister, worried for me- often too much. But, now, it seemed fair for her to worry, especially with Levi's clearly better skills on the battlefield being put to use. Although, it could be debated. Levi may have been strong but Mikasa's stealth was next to none and being a shadowhunter, she had perks that he did not. Just as he had skills that she did not possess too.

I nodded, the ache returning as I focused in on it again. My distraction had been stripped away and I couldn't help but curse at Mikasa under my breath as she examined the wound. The very, very painful wound. My thigh held the brunt of it, the teeth marks clearly visible just below my pelvis. The pain had spread though, the poison slowly trying to make it's way to my heart. My sister drew out her stele, something similar to a wand used by shadowhunters- a gift from the angels- that could grant us many gifts. One of those being healing. She drew the healing rune, a tattoo that was produced when the stele was pressed against the skin, but it did nothing- it was to be expected. Healing runes were useful but they were not meant to treat poisons. Shadowhunters would be no less than unkillable if that were the case.

In that moment, I truly thought I was going to die.

By the time the last demon had his heart ripped from his chest and had been sent back to the hellish place it came from, I was blind. The poison, it seemed, has reached my eyes before my heart despite them being much further away. Or, almost more realistically, the shock had sent me into this state. Although I fought demons on a daily basis- it was my job for God's sake- so why now was I suddenly like this?