Once I Used to Know

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tense when you read. Then the end gets me. My heart just dropped when I read it. Hope yall like....grab some tissues......Thanks KenoshaChick

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was walking through the woods, slowly, hoping my face would return to its original color before I found Sasha. Of all the average human experiences I could have with my father, I had to have that one. I would prefer talking about imprinting to that. Where did my father even come up with the idea? Last night was the first night things got a little...heated. I should have predicted he'd want to nip it in the bud, but the "after school special" moment was not called for. He knew Sasha and I hadn't talked about it yet. In fact, he'd already talked about this with Sasha.

I suddenly panicked. Was I being completely naïve? Had Sasha been sending me signals I was oblivious to? I settled myself down. No, he wouldn't do that. He was the one who slowed things down last night. I was the one who was pushing for...something.

Was it sex? I finally asked myself. Or was it just intimacy? I was just having fun with my boyfriend! We should go back to Romania. Sasha and I would never be left alone again.

I stopped walking and leaned up against a tree. Ugh. I felt so lost. I hated it. Having all the knowledge in the world did not make a speck of difference. My hormones took precedent over my head and my heart wasn't making things any clearer. I hadn't even told Sasha how I felt about him yet.

I hadn't told him.

I bit at the grin sliding over my face. I felt much lighter in one swift breath. That's what I could do to make this better. I could tell Sasha I...I loved him. Just thinking the words made my stomach tie up in knots, but in the best possible way. It would make Sasha so happy. I wanted to make him happy. That's what people in love do for one another.

I took off in a sprint. His trail was easy to follow. He kept to the path I had shown him several times already. I noticed his scent was taking me out several miles. Good. This would be so much easier without prying ears. I could see evidence of where he had stood to take in the view or where he leaned up against at tree to listen to the bird's sing. He was such a romantic cliché. I mused on that for a moment, but had to stop because the scent thinned out and disappeared-like I'd taken a wrong turn. It was so odd. It was completely gone. Not weak from age or covered by an animal, it was gone. In fact, everything was gone. I could barely even smell the wet moss or the mud under my shoes. The hair on the back of my neck stood up in alarm. My sense of smell was a vital part of me, and it was very disconcerting to suddenly be without it. I took a few steps back. Gradually, the forest came back into focus as did Sasha's scent. I didn't know which direction to go. The direction of the trail would lead me back into the nothingness. My instinct was telling me stay away from it. Did Sasha do this somehow? Some kind of old vampire trick? Why would he do something to make me so nervous?

I glanced in all directions, aimlessly looking for some kind of sign. I listened carefully to my surroundings, trying to recognize something in the midst of the forest chatter. And then I heard it...him.

Jacob.

Not as a wolf. His voice. Coming from the direction my senses were warning me not to go. I brazenly ignored them and followed the sound. Instantly my sense of smell cut out on me again. It was so uncomfortable to be without it, so I slowed down. The air became heavy, even though there wasn't a bit of fog in sight. It was in my head, in my chest, whatever it was. My intuition pulled at me, begging me to turn around, but I had no choice. Jacob came back. What I would say when I found him I didn't know. I could only take one step at a time.