Chapter 27 - Formal Relations

Days and weeks passed and as she said, Viola taught me how to act like a princess. From positioning silverware on a tablecloth to carrying myself in front of a crowd, I learned everything. Soon, everything was like second nature to me. Then again, it was probably because of Lady, which is what I have started to "lovingly" call Lady Virus.

My nights, like my days, were heavily monitored and planned—there was not a single hour in which I was entirely free. Though I didn't have control during the night, that didn't mean I was allowed to sleep; after all, if Lady doesn't get to sleep, why should I? At least, that's what she has argued.

On Viola's calendar it'll say something like "free time," but that was for her and not me. While she enjoyed her break, she forced me to do research on the country—which I came to learn was Libentina—and memorize the history. Now, this wouldn't be too hard, especially since she 'spread out' the research for a month, except that I was usually brain-dead when it was going to start. Of course, with time, things got easier—but that still didn't stop my complaints. Or Lady's for that matter. Then again, the latter isn't much of a surprise.

Interestingly enough, within these past few weeks, I interacted with a slim amount of people. Though this could be because I was supposed to be a "secret"—especially from the public—the fact that my family wasn't reaching out to me was interesting in itself. I don't know what I had expected, but I guess it was less learning and more interacting. Well, it's not like it's going to matter soon—someday my day will come. And soon, my day did come.

I expected it to start like any other day. I expected for Viola to walk in, wearing her towering heels, and pull back the blinds behind me to blind me. And at that moment, I expected to gain power over Lady and turn around and look at her as though I was surprised. Then, she would tell me to change out of my nightwear and into the next frilly pink dress that she found in her closet. After that, we would go to my dining hall and learn whatever she planned for today.

But that's not what she did today. At least, she didn't fall it to a 'T'. Like always, she walked in, wearing her towering heels, and pulled back the blinds. Like always, I turned around, only to stare at the sun that beamed through my window. However, I wasn't met with only her: there was a team of what I assumed to be servants behind her, lined up in a line with their heads bowed and hands clasped in front of them.

What in the world is happening this time?

I looked at Viola and then the servants. "What's going on?"

"Madame, we are having a special guest over today," she replied, tilting her head so that her tied hair would fall gracefully against her shoulder. "Due to that, we mustn't look gray but must look gay."

I stared at the servants. "And I need an entire team to look pretty?"

"Would you prefer to look like a person from Lower Libentina?

Are you trying to keep up with Lady Athena?"

"No, not necessarily," I murmured, "I just think that half of this is unnecessary."

"Mistress, it appears you do not recall the etiquette of a lady of formal standing," she commented. Adding on, she said:

"Or rather, you do not recall your title.

As a princess, you have a specific branding,

and being near to the king, it is very demanding.

Thus, looking as high-class as your rank is vital—

I hope you can arrive at that understanding without me expanding."