Chapter 4 - Memories

After Mae and Phil calmed me down, we all decided to sit down to get a peace of mind. The spring air, which was unusually cold and misty, bit through our torn and burnt clothes and onto our skin. In an attempt to warm up, some sought dry firewood and started a fire. As the air brushed against us, we huddled closer to the flames.

Crackle. Crackle.

The sound of the roaring fire was the only sound for miles. It lit up our night, as well as displayed the grimness of our lives as we knew it. Our lives in the Liberation Alliance finally came to a close, leaving nothing but an empty, vacant hole behind. Rotting corpses of our friends filled once-lively halls, and the food will forever and only be in our memory. No more will we be on our merry ways of training after lunch, brunch, or whatever. No more will we anticipate our next mission. No more will we laugh and joke about, as if life was going on without a care—those days were over. Seeming to understand this, everyone stared at the fire, downcast.

Looking around, I gazed at the gloomy crowd. Phil was to my side, his glasses misty and his face stern and his lips pursued. He was trying to be strong, despite the fact both of his parents were gone... not like I don't know that feeling. To my other side was Mae, who was darting her eyes around. We locked eyes, but she immediately looked away to avoid persecution.

To her side was Fauna Reid, who was sniffling up a storm, her face almost as red as her locks. Like Phil, she lost her parents—however, she also lost her sister. Next to her was Chris, who was staring at the fire without any clear emotion on his face. Dani was next to him and just by looking at her clasped hands and face as she stared at the fire, it was simple to tell that she, like Chris, was lost in thought and unable to respond to the tragedy. Then, there was Newvy. Though I couldn't see his face due to his long, dark bangs, his hands and arms trembled. On the other side of Phil was Axel. Unlike usual, the fiery red-head had red eyes and cheeks that were stained. He had stopped sobbing for his deceased and missing brethren. Besides him was Luckas Veil, who was more or less himself—he kept himself composed.

Finally, there was Ben Bara, or whatever his name was. Unlike everyone else, there was this feeling about him, this atmosphere that surrounded him that made his emotions, whether it was true or not, insincere. Though he was watery-eyed and his blond locks casted a shadow over his face, there was still a spark in his eye that made me question his emotions.

Twiddling her thumbs, Dani, like me, eyed everyone else in the solemn crowd. Uncertain of what to do, she bit her lip as her eyes closed halfway. Finally, she began to hum a tune. Her husky, deep voice drew everyone's attention, and she continued to look downwards to avoid persecution. After a few moments, she began to sing.

Memories,

Light the corners of my mind

Misty water-colored memories

Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,

Of the smiles we left behind

Smiles we gave to one another

For the way we were—

"Damien, will you please shut up?" Luke interrupted, more so commanding than questioning.

"Well, I'm so sorry that I'm trying to lift the mood," she hissed back. "Some people don't like this kind of atmosphere, you know."

"I'm voicing the thoughts of the assembly."

"Well, why would they want me to stop?"

"They don't like your voice."

"Who doesn't like my voice?"