Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 8: So Weak

"I hear you."

Ryadni's voice was hollow, empty. From far away, the incessant whisperings assaulted her in all directions. Ryadni tried to speak but her words died on her lips.

"I can feel you. Please, just give me time."

In the vague distance, people moved on with their daily routines. Ryadni groaned to herself, clutching a pounding head that threatened to explode.

"You're too far away. I can't do it."

A sob escaped her mouth.

"I can't... I can't... please."

Silence fell. The whisperings returned with greater urgency. Ryadni stilled. When she next spoke, her voice had taken on a steely tone.

"My life is yours to command."

****

So hungry... so hungry...

"What is up with you, Ryadni?"

Ryadni jumped and her kit fell to the ground with a clatter. Hooks and knives spun into the dark corners of the storage area. She groaned, scrabbling after them and shoving them back into her satchel. One of the Raiders gazed down at her, puzzled, and handed her the rope she'd forgotten to pack.

"You've been so off lately. You barely pay attention to the trainees and you don't even go to the meetings any more. Pallas hasn't said anything yet, but those are compulsory. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she muttered, swinging the bag over her head and hooking a stray curl behind her ear. The Raider's probing questions and false worry irritated her.

"Are you sure? We're going back to Hesprus's and you need to be in top form—"

"I said I'm fine!"

The Raider stopped, a hurt look on her face. Ryadni turned away and marched up the stairs, her heart thrumming against her rib cage. Her back prickled. She clenched and released her fists over and over. The Raider called after her, probably with more complaints, but her words were inaudible below Ryadni's heavy breathing.

Everyone was worried. Everyone asked after her. None of them truly cared. They only wanted her to be at her best to continue their survival. She was the same as them. At the end of the day, if a powerful warlord offered wealth and resources in return for her life, even Pallas would betray her. They needed her as manpower. Ryadni needed them to survive long enough to bring back Khaus.

The chilly air warmed as the days stretched into summer. It was strange; her mind had been so numb for the past day that time had slipped by without notice.

Had she seen Casten yet? She couldn't remember. A persistent, pulsatile headache drummed at her temples, breaking her chain of thought. The plan was to raid Nubina and they were to take a route that brought them cold to Bheim, where Hesprus's Draconian Family ruled. Daelus, the head of the family, ruled the area with an iron fist. Daelus, the man who murdered her mother. Her mouth dried when the memories of that devastating day inched into her mind.

Without warning, a shadow leapt out at her and clamped on her wrists.

"What the hell?!" she yelled, her hand flying back to reach for her dagger – which was locked away in the armoury downstairs. She tore her wrist out of her attacker's grip. Dim torchlight fell on a tear-stained face. Ryadni straightened up, dropping her arms. "Sumair. What do you want now?"

Sumair's straggly hair was matted and wilder than ever and her pallid skin highlighted her gaunt features. She sniffled and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, leaving a streak of dirt on her sunken cheeks. Jocas was nowhere to be seen.

icon lock

Show your support for Kat Hollister, and continue reading this story

by Kat Hollister
@KatrinHollister
When dragons brawl after millennia of peace, Aeris loses her entire f...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 36 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @KatrinHollister.