Charlotte the Snowflake

“No, dad. I don’t need you to come to our concert this Saturday.” I was talking to my dad on the phone and I was trying very hard not to get pissed.

“Are you sure? I can come. I’m not really that busy.” He replied.

Pffffft. Says the man who owns half of the Araneta Coliseum and always had a woman lying around undressed.

“No, dad. It’s okay.” I said.

“Charlotte, it’s your first ever school concert. And you’re finally going to sing on a stage! I want to come.” He said.

Ugh. No backing out now.                                                        

“Fine. It’s at 10 am. Parents of the performers get to sit at the first 2 rows. Don’t be late.” I said.

“Alright. I’ll be there cupcake. I have to go. I love you.” He said.

“Don’t call me that and yeah, you, too.” I hung up and sighed.

“Daddy problems?” I looked up and saw Ms. Claire, our house mother.

I shrugged.

“Well, why don’t you go to your room and start working on your journal? It’s due on Monday.” She suggested.

I nodded and climbed the stairs to the 3rd floor where room 123 was.

“How did it go?” Bea, my best friend and roommate asked.

“Oh, the usual. He said he’s going to the concert.” I said and I threw myself on my bed.

“Well, look at it on the good side. Maybe he’s trying to be a better father now. You never know, right?” She said.

“I doubt it.” I replied and we dropped the topic.

I took my journal from my backpack and got my pen. All of the students were required to pass a journal by the end of the term with complete entries. They give us all questions every week and we just jot down our answers.

“What’s the first question in the journal?” I asked.

“’Who am I and who are my family?’” She replied.

I wrote,

I am Charlotte Torres and Bea Laglagaron is my best friend. We are family.

“I’m done.” I announced and opened the small fridge that was between our beds. No Dr. Pepper, ugh. I'd have to settle on some Mountain Dew instead.

“That was fast. I’ve been working on mine for 10 minutes now and I have only written 3 lines. I am so lame.” she complained.

“Lighten up.” I said and got my book, The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan from my bag. I was going to start reading when Ms. Claire went inside our room.

“How are the journals going, girls?” She asked.

“Not even halfway through. I swear, composing a song is easier than this.” Bea brought her hands up to rub her temples.

Ms. Claire patted her on the back and looked at me and the book I was reading. I was given the impression  she didn’t like Greek mythology.

“Where’s yours, Charlotte?” She asked me.

I gave her mine and her eyebrows shot upwards immediately.

“Hmm. Come with me to my office, Charlotte.” She said as she went out of the door carrying my journal with an emotionless face.