Thirty.One

Christopher

Today I decided to take my mom to breakfast since Sabrina was at school. Things have been a little awkward ever since the day she testified. I can't sit up and pretend like hearing that text didn't bother me. It made me wonder what else did they talk about.

I really want to let that situation be. It's in the past now, that nigga locked up. It's time to focus on my future with the love of my life.

Me and my mom sat at a diner not too far from my house.

"Ma, I really do appreciate you being here and helping me out until Sabrina is fully comfortable."

"No problem." She said. "I miss LA anyway. I didn't realize how small Virginia was until we moved back."

"Yeah but I miss it sometime."

"You and Sabrina have to come visit. You can show her the country life."

"I think she'll love it." I smiled.

"So I ran into your dad."

"That's nice."

"He asked about you. He said he watches every game."

"That's nice."

"Christopher."

"What you want me to do, jump up and down. He only being nice because of who I am. He never came around before he never attempted to have a relationship with me before. I don't need one with him now."

"You really have to forgive him one day. That is your father."

"He isn't my father. He's my sperm donor."

"Chris."

"Next subject, please."

She rolled her eyes. "So damn stubborn."

"Can you blame me though? I haven't seen that man in how many years? He never picked up a phone, wrote a letter. He probably purposely ran into you just so you'd come back and tell me all of this. He need to leave you alone and me."

"Okay." She took a deep breath.

My phone buzzed on the table. It was a text from Sabrina letting me know she was shopping with her mom.

It's crazy how I was just pissed off but hearing from her made me feel a little better.

I guess my mom noticed because she was smiling hard when I looked up at her.

"I'm really proud of the man you're finally becoming Chris. I used to watch you try and sneak different girls in the house. I used to think you'd never change and one of those chicks would end up pregnant with my grand baby. Then you brought my amazing daughter in law over. I knew she was going to make you change, I could feel it and I was right." She said.

"She's dope. We have our issues but I know for sure she's the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

"Is that something that's going to be happening soon?" She smirked.