Chapter 3- So Much For Bad Luck

I was sitting in Art class painting a landscape of a sunset. I used all the colors like purple, orange, yellow and red. Those colors blended so beautifully. At the same time I kept looking at the clock on the wall, waiting for it to strike 3. Five more minutes. I still don’t understand why I get so excited. I want my 100 miles per hour heartbeat to stop thumping so much but it just isn’t working. *Bell rings*

  As I walk to the soccer field I bump into Jake. Perfect timing.

“ Hey Maria” he says with a huge grin.

“ Hi, what’s up?” I say with a smile.

“ I was just heading home, are you too? I can give you a ride.”

“ Thanks for the offer, but I’m here to watch the football practice”

“ Oh, I get it.” He whispers

“ What are you talking about?” I whisper back with a smile.

“ Its Max isn’t it?

“ Yeah, he asked me to come watch him play, what’s the big deal?”

“  I guess what they say is right, we all want what we can’t have”  he said with a upset  face and walked away.

I was so confused. What is he actually trying to freaking say? Okay well the next time I see him I’ll ask I guess. He seems sweet and everything but I have to figure people out myself not with other people’s opinions. I walk through the field to the bleachers and I see an African American girl sitting talking to Max. She is really tall, bubbly and very beautiful. I’m guessing that’s Mona.

“Maria!” Max exclaims.

“Hey!” I say with overexcitement. I hope he didn’t notice.

He gives me a hug surprisingly. He smells so good and my heart starts beating faster. I didn’t want to let go of our warm hug but then it would just be awkward.

We then let go, and looked at each other and smiled.

“Oh by the way, this is Mona , my best friend since Middle School.” He says

“Hey girl, how you doin?” She says with a warm smile.

“Hey, I’m doing great” I smile back.

“Well you girls get talking, I have to go play, don’t miss me too much”

“ Please boy, you trippin” Mona says with a laugh.

“ Hahaha is he always like that?”

“ Yeah, always, so anyway, what’s the deal with the two of you because girl that was no ordinary hug, you know what I’m sayin?” she says with a wink.

I start blushing; I don’t even know what to say except how do you know? But I didn’t say that obviously.

“ Umm what? No were just friends you know like you guys.”

“Yeah well I’ve never seen him smile like that before, and girl he wouldn’t  shut up about you, did I mention it’s the first time he’s introduced me to a girl friend of his.”

“ Haha, well I’m flattered but that’s not the case, so anyway tell me something about you”

“ Well you can see im black, beautiful and very funny.”

We both start laughing.

“ Haha true but I mean like your family and stuff.”

“ Oh my mom died when I was eight, I’m an only child and I live with my dad, so Max literally took care of me, what about you?”