Chapter 10 - Bexley

As the cab pulls up to Central Park, Willie sighs. "Maybe this wasn't the best idea," he says, seeing the downpour. He directs the driver to a coffee shop just around the corner, and tips him generously. As we walk up to the door he pulls it open, gesturing me in. I smile and curtsy, pulling up the ends of my skirt a bit. 

As soon as we walk in, I hear a little bell ring atop the door. A barista hollers at us and waves enthusiastically. "Come, come!" She gestures us over to the counter. "What would you like on this fine evening?" Fine evening? This evening has been anything but fine. 

But I won't ruin her spirit.

Willie looks over at me. "Do we really want to get anything?" he seems to ask with his eyes. "Um, I'll have a cappuccino." I don't want to make her feel bad. This time I insist to pay, though he puts up a fight. 

She says it will be a few minutes, so Willie guides me to the back. The place is not crowded, the only customer an older man on his laptop. Fairy lights and dusty curtains are draped over the windows, and the walls and floors are an amber color. In the back corner are two bean bags and I plop down on one, my skirt billowing around me. I laugh. I don't know why. He follows, falling onto the bag. I hear the bell ring as another customer walks in. This time it is a girl in her mid-20s, it looks like. She has on NYU sweatpants, a loose t-shirt with a stain on the shoulder, and her hair up in a messy ponytail. From what I can guess, she seems like a mother still in college. I wonder if I've ever seen her around.

Just then I hear the barista calling me. "Excuse me," I say to Willie as I run over to the counter. As I pick up my drink, I can see the girl sit down on a stool next to me, her hands covering her face. She looks tired.

I walk over to her slowly, cappuccino in hand. "Hi," I practically whisper, and she looks up at me. She doesn't look like she thought she would have any company. "Oh, um, hello." she says back. She has a strong New Jersey accent. I give her a little wave, and she gives me a little smile. "How are you doing?" "Fine, I guess," she says and itches her nose, looking out the window. "I go to NYU too," I say. I reach up for my cap to prove it, and realize that it fell of when we were running. "That's real great," she says, obviously not interested. Anyone else would have left the conversation there, but today felt different. 

"How do you like it?" "Well, it's pure hell, thanks for askin'." She sighs and looks over my shoulder. "Why?" "Why the hell you wanna know?" I take a small step back. "I'm ... just curious." "Well, go be curious somewhere else." I stand there for a few more seconds, staring into her hazel eyes. They seem full of hate, like someone did something to her. 

I know that look all too well.

I start to turn around, to run back to Willie, when she grabs my shoulder and spins me around with incredible strength. "Look here kid," she spits, pointing her finger at my eyes. My eyes grow wide. "If I got one piece of advice for you in life, don't ever do something you don't wanna do, okay? Be yourself. Don't let no one push you around, tellin' you what to be. Trust me, I know. Don't make the same mistake as me." 

And with that, she turns and looks back out to the rainy streets alone.