Chapter 4

"What's going on between you and Donner?"

So much for beating around the bush. Placing her fingers at her temples, she prayed for patience. "Firstly, his name is Adam-"

"Oh, sorry," he interjected. "I wasn't aware that you two were on a first name basis already."

Felicity took a deep breath, ignoring his sarcasm. "His name is Adam," she repeated. "And there is nothing going on between us."

Oliver opened his mouth, but she held up a finger to silence him. "And even if there was, it wouldn't be any of your business."

He gaped at her, running a hand distractedly over his short hair. "None of my business? The guy's a snake! Why would you even be entertaining someone like him?"

Walking up to Oliver, she poked him in the chest with her index finger. "You are not allowed to tell me who I may, or may not socialize with. If I want to talk to Adam or anyone else for that matter, I don't need your permission."

"He tried to jail my mother!" Oliver's voice rose, incensed.

"He was doing his job!" she countered stubbornly.

His eyes narrowed, his voice dropping an octave. "Now you're defending him?"

Felicity rolled her eyes. "You're being completely unreasonable. Technically, Laurel prosecuted your mother and you're still friendly with her."

By the way his jaw tightened, she could tell that she'd hit her mark. "That's different."

Throwing her hands up in exasperation, she asked, "How?"

"I don't trust him," he ground out. The soft glow of the computer screens highlighted his angular features to perfection. Felicity resolved to stay on point and not allow herself to become distracted by her unrequited attraction to him.

"How you feel isn't relevant," she started, grabbing her purse and stuffing her keys inside. She needed to occupy her hands or she was likely to throttle him. She cleared her throat. "I don't see you sending your new girlfriends past me for inspection."

"What?!"That clearly touched a nerve.

Felicity's chin rose. She refused to cower. "You heard me. I don't pick the women you date. You don't get to have a say in the men I choose."

A strangled laugh filled with disbelief escaped into the air. "So now you're dating the DA?"

Did he think she wasn't good enough? Irritated, she felt her hackles rising. "What? No. I'm trying to make a point."

He leaned in closer to her, his voice dangerously low. "Here's my point: I forbid you to see him again."

Felicity's mouth dropped open, fury building up inside of her at an alarming rate. She couldn't believe his arrogance. "This is not about you, Oliver. This is about me! A concept that must be pretty hard for you to grasp since you can't seem to focus on anyone's needs beyond yours. I may work for you, but you don't own me!"

Oliver looked at her sharply, shaking his head. "I've never treated you that way."

Felicity dumped her purse back onto the desk, placed her hands on her hips and glared at him. "Haven't you? I'm an IT specialist. That's my job, what I'm trained to do. But right now, I'm your personal assistant. A title that's only marginally less patronizing than calling me your secretary! All done without so much as a courteous consultation! Do you want to know what that makes me?" Angrily, she shoved a lock of hair out of her face. "Let me tell you. The laughing stock at Queen Consolidated!"