Chapter 65 - What Happened?

Tobias

"Candor is still demanding she be interrogated as soon as she is fluently speaking again. They are constantly checking in with the hospital." Josh says to me as I stand across from him over his desk. My dog is sitting at my feet, tall enough to have his nose on the desk, sniffing whatever he can reach.

"They set a date exactly three weeks from today. They want her in Candor, no matter what state. The probably figure no matter what, if she's weaker, there's more of a chance the serum will be able to override her divergence."

"Three weeks?!"

"I know, it's selfish and illogical."

I sigh, now having that issue to suffer with."

"What's going on with the IB?" I ask. "Is there any information on that place, New Zonk?"

"New York?" Josh chuckles. "No, we haven't found anything. Rumor has it that the city attacked itself and everyone died, but who knows. No one ever ventured there and came back to tell about it."

"What are they looking to interrogate Tris on?"

"Whatever she knows from the building. You weren't there for the others, but the did everyone that was rescued. It's quite shocking they didn't demand you all who stormed the building to be interrogated too, at least, not yet."

"I question what she even knows from the building. The doctors say she most likely has memory loss somewhere, but it's not like anyone is trying to start conversation about the building where she was almost killed."

"The interrogation will go as terrible as the rest of them, I assume. They are so unnecessary. All they did was awaken the PTSD alive in everyone, and they gained no information, for the people said those things without the truth serum."

I'm silent.

"One thing the IB did successfully look into was the theory that there was more than one person working with David. Chances are likely there might have been two men David was comfortable with that suddenly died ten months before the first file we tracked on their computer service. And to make the theory even more interesting, the one man was originated from areas outside of New York. His name was Derrick."

"The only body we found in that building was David's, and the other guys that have already been identified." I feel my face flush.

"Exactly."

"Shit."

"Yep."

"So, you mean, David's legacy might still be out there somewhere." I run my hand through my hair.

"It's surely a possibility. It's just a thought to have out there."

"I just don't get it." I say, irritated. "How the hell does Candor expect Tris to be well enough to go through a trial in three weeks. She just got out of the basically mentally insane section of the hospital three weeks ago, and is just starting to more talk this week."

"I wish there was more I could do, Four." He sympathetically smiles at me.

+ + +

"I'll get you a wheelchair... Why don't you three go for a walk? It's getting warmer outside." Dr. Scott says.

It's been two weeks since I met with Josh, and Tris's trial is next week. The whole city knows about it, except that information will not make it into this hospital room as long as I'm breathing.