Founders of Hogwarts Houses

Godric Gryffindor: His first name comes from Old English for "power of God." Gryffindor is from griffin, a fierce, legendary beast with the body of a lion, and the head and wings of an eagle. The Hogwarts house named after him uses a lion as its symbol.

 Helga Hufflepuff: The name is from Helge, from Old Norse heilagr, meaning "prosperous" or "brave." Their symbol is the badger, a large mammal related to the weasels with distinctive white stripes on its head. In Celtic mythology, a badger was a guide. The badger also can symbolize a tendency to be hard-working, strong and tenacious (sticking to something and not giving up). Hufflepuffs are known for loyalty and hard work.

Rowena Ravenclaw: Rowena is the Latin version of a Germanic name that means "fame and joy." Ravenclaw is simply raven + claw. A raven is a large black bird that belongs to the crow family; however, Ravenclaw's symbol is an eagle. In legend, ravens are known to be smart birds; Ravenclaws are known to be wise and quick learners.

Salazar Slytherin: Salazar is of northern Spanish/Basque origin and means "palace." Slytherin is a variation of "slithering," a method of travel for snakes. Some HP fans see a connection to Antonio Salazar, a dictator who ruled Portugal from 1932 to 1968. Rowling lived in Portugal, working as an English teacher,and was married briefly to a local man, who also is the father of Jessica.